Share and Follow
Javier Báez has stepped forward to accept full accountability for a drug test failure that will prevent him from participating in the World Baseball Classic.
The Detroit Tigers’ standout will be absent from the tournament following a positive test for marijuana during the 2023 WBC.
“I have no one to blame but myself for this,” Báez confessed on Tuesday, as reported by The Athletic. “I’m the one who didn’t pass the test. It’s incredibly frustrating not to be able to participate.”
“This situation is painful for my family and damaging to my reputation, but it is what it is. Besides that, I have a long season ahead, and I need to get ready for it.”

While Major League Baseball permits marijuana use, the World Baseball Softball Confederation, which oversees the WBC, does not.
“I understand the rules,” Báez said. “It’s not like I was taking steroids or anything to last longer or whatever. They made that decision. I’m fine with it, I mean, I’m not fine with it. I just keep my mouth shut.”
Báez failed the test during the last WBC in March 2023.
The loss of Báez is the latest blow to Team Puerto Rico, which will host Pool A of the WBC starting March 5.

Puerto Rico, which has twice finished runner-up in the tournament, previously lost stars Carlos Correa and Francisco Lindor due to insurance issues.
“One of my dreams is to play in Puerto Rico for Team Puerto Rico with our families, our fans, our island,” Báez said. “Nothing I can do. I’m just happy for all of my teammates that got the chance to represent. I wish them good luck.”
The Tigers star will instead shift his focus to the MLB season, which kicks off in late March.