North West, daughter of Kim Kardashian, set to debut her own fashion and jewelry brand

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's daughter, North, is preparing to step into the spotlight with her own fashion and jewelry brand. The 12-year-old, recently seen...
HomeUSJudge Condemns Justice Department's 'Dangerous' and 'Horrifying' Comments on Slavery Exhibit Display

Judge Condemns Justice Department’s ‘Dangerous’ and ‘Horrifying’ Comments on Slavery Exhibit Display

Share and Follow


PHILADELPHIA (AP) — On Friday, a federal judge delivered a stern warning to Justice Department attorneys, criticizing their claims that the Trump Administration holds the authority to determine which aspects of American history are showcased at National Park Service sites. The judge described these assertions as “dangerous” and “horrifying.”

The tense dialogue occurred during a Philadelphia hearing, sparked by the sudden removal of a slavery history exhibit at the former President’s House on Independence Mall. This site had been developed collaboratively by the city and the National Park Service over the past twenty years.

Local officials were taken aback earlier this month when workers, armed with crowbars, dismantled outdoor plaques, panels, and various materials that detailed the lives of nine enslaved individuals who lived there. Much of this historical information had only come to light in the last 25 years.

“Once history is discovered, it cannot simply be erased,” stated Senior U.S. District Judge Cynthia Rufe, appointed by President George W. Bush.

This removal followed an executive order by President Donald Trump aimed at “restoring truth and sanity to American history” in museums, parks, and landmarks nationwide. In Philadelphia, the historical materials were loaded onto a pickup truck and placed into storage, prompting Judge Rufe to express concern over potential damage to these items.

“Although many people feel strongly about this (exhibit) one way, other people may disagree or feel strongly another way,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory in den Berken.

“Ultimately,” he said, “the government gets to choose the message it wants to convey.”

Rufe swiftly cut him off.

“That is a dangerous statement you are making. It is horrifying to listen to,” she said. “It changes on the whims of someone in charge? I’m sorry, that is not what we elected anybody for.”

Rufe heard hours of testimony Friday from former city officials who had helped plan the exhibit, and said the city had kicked in $1.5 million toward the project. She plans to visit both the storage area and the site before ruling on the city’s request to have the exhibit restored. But she asked the Justice Department lawyers to ensure that nothing else is disturbed.

In den Berken said the Park Service routinely changes its exhibits and tours, and argued that the government cannot be forced to tell a certain story. But lawyers for the city and other advocates said the park service does not have “carte blanche” to interpret the nation’s history as it sees fit.

The exhibit includes biographical details about the nine people enslaved by George and Martha Washington at the presidential mansion. Now, only their names — Austin, Paris, Hercules, Christopher Sheels, Richmond, Giles, Oney Judge, Moll and Joe — remain engraved into a cement wall.

Michael Coard, an attorney representing one of the advocacy groups supporting the exhibit, said the president was ignoring the power held by Congress, the judiciary and the American people.

“It’s one thing to whisper that type of dictatorial power. But to send lawyers into a public courtroom to make that argument is absolutely frightening,” he said. “I’m really worried about the state of America.”

Rufe said she planned to rule quickly, noting the surge of visitors expected to visit the nation’s birthplace this year to mark its 250th anniversary of being founded.

Residents who have visited the site have shed tears, left flowers and left a handmade sign that said “Slavery was real.”

Share and Follow