Discover the Top 10 Anime Characters Inspired by Real-Life Legends

Art isn't created in a vacuum, and anime characters are a testament to this truth. Creators frequently draw inspiration from real-life influences, crafting some...
HomeUSJudge Justifies Camera Ban in Karmelo Anthony Murder Trial, Calls It a...

Judge Justifies Camera Ban in Karmelo Anthony Murder Trial, Calls It a ‘Clear-Cut Choice

The presiding judge, John Roach, has staunchly defended the decision to exclude cameras from the courtroom during the trial, a move that stirred controversy. Judge Roach emphasized that this measure was crucial to maintaining the fairness of the proceedings.

Judge Roach, of the 296th District Court, reiterated his stance this week, affirming that the restriction on cameras and livestreaming was indeed the appropriate course of action for ensuring a just trial.

This decision followed the verdict from a Collin County jury, which found Anthony guilty of murder in the tragic death of Austin Metcalf, a Memorial High School student. The incident took place during a high school track meet in Frisco, Texas, and has since drawn significant public attention and debate.

In a post-verdict interview with WFAA, Judge Roach stood by his controversial decision to keep the trial proceedings out of public broadcast, underscoring his commitment to a fair judicial process.

Karmelo Anthony standing next to Austin Metcalf

Karmelo Anthony (left) was convicted of killing Austin Metcalf (right). (Texas Department of Criminal Justice; Jeff Metcalf)

“Yes, it was an easy decision,” Roach told the station. “I’ll tell you why. My primary goal in every case is to make sure the defendant and the prosecution get a fair trial. Period.”

“I know I made people mad but I’m not here to make them happy either,” he added.

The decision to bar cameras and livestreaming drew criticism from reporters and members of the public who wanted greater access to the proceedings.

Karmelo Anthony depicted in a court sketch during his trial in Collin County, Texas

A court sketch shows Karmelo Anthony during his trial in Collin County, Texas, where he was convicted of murder in the 2025 stabbing death of Austin Metcalf on June 9, 2026. (Pat Lopez)

“I had to balance between the media’s right to know and be able to know what’s going on, which I think is extraordinarily important. I think the public had access to the courtroom and see what is going on,” Roach said.

The Texas judge said his goal was to prevent outside commentary and public pressure from influencing the proceedings or the jury.

“As long as I follow the law, I sleep well at night,” Roach said.

Courtroom sketch shows defense attorney Mike Howard addressing jurors during Karmelo Anthony's murder trial

Defense attorney Mike Howard delivers opening statements during Karmelo Anthony’s murder trial in a courtroom sketch from the Collin County courthouse. (Pat Lopez)

Roach also pushed back on claims that he had a personal relationship with the Metcalf family.

“I wouldn’t know Mr. Metcalf prior to this trial if he walked up to me and said ‘hello,’” he said.

When asked whether the jury reached the correct verdict, Roach said he believed they did.

Karmelo Anthony's grandmother Toni Hayes leaving court in McKinney, Texas

Karmelo Anthony’s grandmother, Toni Hayes, leaves court in McKinney, Texas, on June 9, 2026. Anthony was sentenced to 35 years for the murder of Austin Metcalf at a track meet in Frisco last year. (AJ Skuy for News Media)

“Yes they did because they were picked based upon the law, they listened to the facts, it happened in this courtroom, and they got a verdict,” he said.

Roach also shared his impressions of Anthony following the trial.

“He seems like a nice young man who committed a crime and he understands today more than any day before the consequences of committing a crime like he did,” he said.

<!–>

–>