HomeUSJudge Orders Release or Bond Hearing for Juan Espinoza Martinez in High-Profile...

Judge Orders Release or Bond Hearing for Juan Espinoza Martinez in High-Profile Chicago Murder-for-Hire Case

Share and Follow

In an unfolding legal drama centered around Juan Espinoza Martinez, a Chicago carpenter, a federal judge has ruled that he must either be released from U.S. Immigration and Customs custody or be granted a bond hearing. This decision comes after Espinoza Martinez was cleared of charges alleging he placed a $10,000 bounty on Border Patrol Commander Greg Bovino’s life.

Judge James Patrick Hanlon firmly stated that the continued detention of Espinoza Martinez without the opportunity for a bond hearing is unlawful. According to the judge’s directive, this situation must be resolved by 6 p.m. ET on February 11, marking a significant turn in the case.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Espinoza Martinez’s legal troubles began when he was taken into immigration custody following his acquittal last month. Despite the court’s decision clearing him of the grave accusations, he found himself entangled in further legal complications, prompting judicial intervention.

Adding a layer of complexity, Judge Hanlon decreed that Espinoza Martinez is not to be transferred outside the jurisdiction of the United States or to any federal judicial district outside of Illinois, Indiana, or Wisconsin for the time being. This restriction underscores the legal nuances at play in his case.

On Tuesday, Southern District of Indiana Judge James Hanlon said Espinoza Martinez cannot be transferred outside the jurisdiction of the U.S. or to any federal judicial district other than those in the states of Illinois, Indiana or Wisconsin for now.

Born in Mexico, Espinoza Martinez was brought to the U.S. as a young child, according to a videotaped interview played during the short murder-for-hire trial in Chicago. His immigration status was not part of the first criminal trial stemming from the Chicago immigration crackdown.

Defense attorneys said the federal government, which referred to Espinoza Martinez as a “criminal illegal alien,” engaged in “character assassination.” Prosecutors accused Espinoza Martinez of being a “ranking” member of the Latin Kings, but the claim quickly unraveled when they didn’t present evidence and a judge barred mentions of the street gang at trial.

Espinoza Martinez, a married father of three, was arrested in October.

His wife, Bianca Hernandez, told the Chicago Tribune that her husband was a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the Obama-era program that’s shielded hundreds of thousands of people from deportation if they meet certain criteria, including no criminal history. However, Espinoza Martinez was not able to reapply in 2020 due to financial hardship, according to family.

She did not return messages left by The Associated Press.

Espinoza Martinez was charged in October as the city of 2.7 million and surrounding suburbs were seeing a surge of federal immigration agents. Protests and standoffs with immigration officers were common, particularly in the city’s heavily Mexican Little Village neighborhood where Espinoza Martinez lived.

He was accused of sending Snapchat messages to his brother and a friend who turned out to be a longtime government informant. One read in part “10k if u take him down,” along with a picture of Gregory Bovino, a Border Patrol official who has led aggressive crackdowns nationwide, including in the Chicago area.

After the verdict, the Department of Homeland Security dismissed the decision by the jury, which deliberated less than four hours.

The case has fueled skepticism about the Trump administration’s narratives surrounding the immigration enforcement surges. Of the roughly 30 criminal cases stemming from Operation Midway Blitz in the Chicago area, roughly half have been dismissed or dropped.

ABC7 Chicago and ABC News contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share and Follow