Amidst Europe’s ongoing conflict, a glimmer of hope emerged as five Ukrainian and Russian children, previously separated from their families, were joyfully reunited, according to an announcement by former U.S. First Lady Melania Trump on Thursday morning.
“While the roles of diplomacy and peacebuilding are crucial, they pale in comparison to our ability to place children’s welfare above international conflicts,” Melania Trump, originally from Slovenia, stated through the White House. “Each reunion reaffirms that compassion, dignity, and the essence of family can transcend even the darkest situations: war. My envoy and I remain dedicated to collaborating with Russian and Ukrainian authorities to ensure children are returned safely to their rightful families and communities.”


Thursday’s announcement marks the fifth instance where children impacted by Europe’s most substantial conflict since the end of World War II have been able to embrace their families once again. This effort follows the former first lady’s revelation in October of her established “open channel” with Russian President Vladimir Putin to tackle this humanitarian issue.
To date, at least 27 children have been successfully reunited with their families through these initiatives, with a significant majority—22 of them—hailing from Ukrainian backgrounds.
Since Moscow’s large-scale invasion in February 2022, thousands of Ukrainian children have been taken from their homes, orphanages, and boarding schools in the occupied eastern regions of Ukraine, often relocated to Russia.
Some youths were put on a twisted Russian adoption database where they could be sorted by age, eye color, and number of siblings, in what non-governmental humanitarian groups called “digital child trafficking masked as bureaucracy.”
Those not taken in by Russian families have been sent to more than 200 facilities to undergo pro-Kremlin “re-education” and military training, according to a report last year by the Yale School of Public Health Humanitarian Research Lab.
The United Nations said in March of this year that it had verified the abduction of more than 1,200 kids across five regions of Ukraine. However, the Kyiv government has claimed the true number is as high as 20,000.
The global body’s Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine said that while Russian authorities claimed the removals were for safety reasons, the fact that 80% of the children had not been returned after four years of war indicated otherwise.
Of those who had come back, the Commission highlighted complaints of starvation and lack of medical care — while in at least one case, an abducted adolescent had taken their own life.
“The children who come back are subdued mentally — they’re broken,” Ukrainian first lady Olena Zelenska told The Post in August of last year. “… Only after they return do they start coming back out of their shells.”
In March 2023, the International Criminal Court in The Hague issued an arrest warrant for Putin in connection with war crimes related to the abduction of Ukrainian kids.