Shia LaBeouf Arrested in New Orleans for Alleged City ‘Terrorizing’: Latest Updates on Disturbing Incident

Actor Shia LaBeouf has found himself in legal trouble following an alleged altercation during the vibrant Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans. As reported by...
HomeUSMenendez brothers case: What's next for killers after defense, DA spar over...

Menendez brothers case: What’s next for killers after defense, DA spar over resentencing

Share and Follow


Whether Erik and Lyle Menendez will see life outside prison walls is still unclear after their resentencing hearing was postponed for another month after a judge ruled that two motions needed to be settled before the process could move forward. 

At the heart of the issue was Los Angeles District Attorney Nathan Hochman’s motion to continue citing access to a part of the comprehensive risk assessment (CRA) report that California Gov. Gavin Newsom requested for the clemency request and the Menendez team’s request for the DA to be admonished for showing crime scene photos at last week’s hearing.

Attorneys and Judge Michael Jesic will meet on May 9 to discuss next steps after the planned two-day resentencing was called off.

Court was paused for a short recess on Thursday as Jesic needed to clear up confusion and address frustrations over the CRA report.

Hochman’s office said they “are aware of the defense’s concerns and welcome the opportunity to address them in court.” 

“Our office remains committed to ethical and impartial prosecution. We believe the facts will demonstrate that our conduct has been professional, appropriate, and in the interest of justice,” Hochman said. 

He also thanked his team of prosecutors — Balian and Deputy District Attorneys Seth Carmack and Ethan Milius — for their “unwavering commitment to ensuring that the Court is presented with the full picture.”

“They have shown extraordinary dedication and professionalism throughout this process, and their work continues to honor the memory of Jose and Kitty Menendez,” Hochman said.

Hochman previously criticized the brothers’ decision to “stubbornly remain hunkered down in their over 30-year-old bunker of lies, deceit and denials.”

The Menendez brothers and their supporters have been pushing for a resentencing hearing, saying the brothers had been unfairly convicted to life in prison in 1996 for murdering their two parents, Jose and Kitty Menendez, in their Beverly Hills home in 1989.

Their first trial ended in a mistrial, when jurors couldn’t agree on their fate. After a second trial in the mid-1990s, in which some of their evidence about the alleged sexual abuse was excluded, jurors agreed with prosecutors that their motive had been greed. 

Fox News Digital’s Sarah Rumpf-Whitten and Michael Ruiz contributed to this report. 

Stepheny Price is a writer for Fox News Digital and Fox Business. She covers topics including missing persons, homicides, national crime cases, illegal immigration, and more. Story tips and ideas can be sent to stepheny.price@fox.com

Share and Follow