Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes
Share and Follow

The Trump administration unveiled a comprehensive civil rights agreement on Friday involving Northwestern University. This accord mandates the university to allocate $75 million and ensure protection for students and faculty against “race-based admissions practices” and any “hostile educational environment” targeting Jewish students.

In a joint announcement, the Department of Justice, Department of Education, and Department of Health and Human Services emphasized that the agreement aims to shield Northwestern from “unlawful discrimination.” It requires the university to uphold transparent policies regarding demonstrations, protests, and other expressive activities, alongside instituting mandatory antisemitism training.

Attorney General Pamela Bondi celebrated the settlement as a significant win for the Trump Administration’s efforts to ensure educational institutions prioritize merit and safeguard Jewish students. She stated, “Institutions receiving federal funds must comply with civil rights laws, and we commend Northwestern for reaching this landmark agreement.”

Northwestern University has committed to disbursing the $75 million to the U.S. government by 2028.

Northwestern University

The Northwestern University campus located in Evanston. (Chris Walker/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

The new agreement comes after the Trump administration previously secured a $221 million settlement with Columbia University to resolve multiple federal civil rights investigations. That deal includes a $200 million payment over three years for alleged discriminatory practices and $21 million to settle claims of antisemitic employment discrimination against Jewish faculty after the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas attacks in Israel. 

DOE Secretary Linda McMahon called the Northwestern agreement “a huge win for current and future Northwestern students, alumni, faculty, and for the future of American higher education.”

“The deal cements policy changes that will protect students and other members of the campus from harassment and discrimination, and it recommits the school to merit-based hiring and admissions,” she said in a statement. “The reforms reflect bold leadership at Northwestern and they are a roadmap for institutional leaders around the country that will help rebuild public trust in our colleges and universities.”

Northwestern directed Fox News Digital to a statement made by university president Henry Bienen reacting to the agreement, saying it would restore hundreds of millions of dollars in critical research funding.

Attorney General Pam Bondi at a Senate hearing.

Attorney General Pam Bondi celebrated a “historic deal” with Northwestern University on Nov. 28. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

“This is not an agreement the University enters into lightly, but one that was made based on institutional values,” Bienen stated. “As an imperative to the negotiation of this agreement, we had several hard red lines we refused to cross: We would not relinquish any control over whom we hire, whom we admit as students, what our faculty teach or how our faculty teach. I would not have signed this agreement without provisions ensuring that is the case.”

Bienen added, “Northwestern runs Northwestern. Period.”

The university president also said the $75 million payment “is not an admission of guilt, but simply a condition of the agreement.” He noted that Northwestern “has not been found in violation of any laws and expressly denies liability regarding all allegations in the now-closed investigations.”

Education Sec. Linda McMahon

Linda McMahon, U.S. education secretary, called Trump administration’s civil rights agreement with Northwestern “a huge win for current and future Northwestern students, alumni, faculty, and for the future of American higher education.” (Eric Lee/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

In its statement announcing the agreement, DOJ said federal agencies would close their pending investigations and treat Northwestern as eligible for future grants, contracts and awards.

The Trump administration previously put a freeze on approximately $790 million from Northwestern University and over $1 billion in federal funding from Cornell University over potential civil rights investigations at both prestigious schools.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Hero National Guardsman filmed taking down DC shooter

Brave National Guardsman Heroically Stops DC Shooter, Captured on Film

A National Guardsman has been hailed as a hero after swiftly neutralizing…
Hong Kong firefighters make final search for survivors after devastating apartment tower blaze kills 94

Hong Kong Firefighters Conduct Final Search for Survivors Following Tragic Apartment Tower Fire, Leaving 94 Dead

In a grim search for survivors, Hong Kong firefighters meticulously scoured a…
Forest Hills group spent $1M to fight stadium — but some neighbors say they’re caught in the middle

Forest Hills Residents Invest $1M Against Stadium Proposal, Sparking Community Debate

A homeowners association has reportedly poured close to $1 million into a…
A store

Post-Thanksgiving Travelers Brace for Increased Snow, Rain, and Cold Weather Conditions

Travelers planning to hit the road this Thanksgiving holiday weekend should brace…
Trump 'made bombshell assassination claim while being secretly taped'

Unveiled: Secret Recording Reveals Trump’s Shocking Assassination Allegation

Olivia Nuzzi’s former partner has accused her of employing a sketch artist…
Keith Urban linked to new woman: Nicole Kidman divorce drama reignites

Keith Urban Sparks Buzz with New Companion Amidst Nicole Kidman Divorce Speculation

In classic Western films, you often hear, “This town ain’t big enough…
Chicago crime: New video shows crash-and-grab thieves slam stolen car into Garfield Park store; Humboldt Park shop also hit

Brazen Crash-and-Grab Heists Rock Chicago: Shocking Video Captures Thieves Targeting Garfield and Humboldt Park Stores

ByABC7 Chicago Digital Team Thursday, November 27, 2025 11:23PM New video shows…
'Jailhouse Karen' Bryan Kohberger complains about prison bananas after quadruple murder conviction: report

Convicted Murderer Bryan Kohberger’s Prison Food Complaint Sparks Controversy

Bryan Kohberger, a convicted murderer serving multiple life sentences, has reportedly caused…