Share and Follow
Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are reportedly in distress following the arrest of their father, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on allegations of misconduct in public office.
The disgraced ex-royal was detained for 11 hours on his 66th birthday, after plainclothes officers conducted a morning raid at his Norfolk residence around 8 a.m.
He was released under investigation and was seen huddled in the backseat of a car as he departed Aylsham police station just after 7 p.m.
To date, neither Andrew’s former wife, Sarah Ferguson, nor their daughters, Beatrice, 37, and Eugenie, 35, have made any public statements, sparking curiosity about their current locations.
Last night, reports emerged suggesting the sisters are deeply troubled by their father’s arrest, with one of them believed to be staying with their mother.
Sources also expressed concerns for Ms Ferguson’s mental health, saying the police investigation is ‘catastrophic for her and her girls’.Â
The former Duchess of York is said to lying low abroad, having spent a few days in the French Alps with friends before moving on to the United Arab Emirates.
There has been no sign of any of the women of the former House of York following the sudden arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
Andrew is pictured leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk shortly after 7pm on Thursday
A group of police officers in plain clothes arrive at Wood Farm on Thursday morning, where searches began
An insider told The Telegraph: ‘This is catastrophic for her and the girls. She seems to be doing her best to put a brave face on it.Â
‘Her desperation for money was clear stupidity but does that equate to what she’s going through now?’
Ms Ferguson has not been seen in public since September 25 last year, when she was photographed being driven out of Royal Lodge.
Until recently, she continued to live with Andrew at the vast Windsor mansion despite the couple being divorced for more than three decades.Â
Meanwhile the sisters’ whereabouts, who unlike their parents have been permitted to keep their titles by the King, is also unclear.
Princess Beatrice’s husband Mapelli Mozzi, 42, was recently spotted on a trip to the US, where he visited Miami and Palm Beach.
The property developer and interior designer, who founded firm Banda Property, was seen in an Instagram post photographed on a street with palm trees and in various locations in the state.
But there was no sign of Beatrice herself in the post, suggesting that she perhaps did not join her husband on his trip stateside.
Their father, the former Duke of York is the first senior royal to be arrested in modern times – with Thursday no doubt one of the worst days for the Crown in recent history.Â
Princess Beatrice’s husband, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi , was recently spotted spending time in Palm Beach, Florida, but she did not appear to be with him
Sarah Ferguson was last seen in public being driven out of Royal Lodge on September 25 last yearÂ
Police officers stand guard near the entrance to Wood Farm on ThursdayÂ
It is understood he was detained in relation to allegations he passed sensitive information to Epstein while acting as a trade envoy for the British government.Â
Andrew’s brother King Charles III was not given any prior warning of the arrest, although the Daily Mail revealed Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s team was informed by a senior officer early on Thursday.
The monarch said in an unprecedented statement that ‘the law must take its course’ after expressing his ‘deepest concern’ after his younger brother was held on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Charles said: ‘I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
‘What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
‘Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
‘As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.’
The Prince and Princess of Wales, who have long been critical of Andrew, are said to support the statement.
Andrew is seen returning to his house in Norfolk after leaving police custody
The Daily Mail was the first to reveal that plain-clothes police, carried in six unmarked vehicles, had arrived at Wood Farm, where Andrew now lives, around 8am on Thursday
The Daily Mail was the first to reveal that plain-clothes police, carried in six unmarked vehicles, had arrived at Wood Farm, where Andrew now lives, around 8am on Thursday. One man appeared to be carrying a police-issue laptop.
A convoy including at least two royal Land Rovers linked to Andrew was photographed leaving the estate less than an hour later. His arrest was confirmed at 10.08am.
A fine art transportation company van and multiple police vehicles were also seen at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former Berkshire residence, a few miles south of Windsor Castle.
At around 4pm, a dark blue Gander and White van was seen leaving the outer gates of the Windsor Great Park, which surrounds the Royal Lodge estate.
Gander and White describes itself as ‘one of the world’s leading fine art logistics companies, providing art storage, transport, installation and customs services’.
Two large police vans with tinted windows, each carrying several uniformed officers, were also seen leaving the property.
A Thames Valley spokesperson said: ‘We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.’
Norfolk Police said it is ‘supporting’ the Thames Valley investigation but did not initially say if one of its stations was being used by detectives to interview Andrew.Â