Hayden Panettiere’s 20-Year Struggle After Zebra Incident

Hayden Panettiere tragically passed away at 36 due to a suspected overdose, following years of suffering from injuries sustained in a harrowing zebra accident. The...
HomeUSRebel Wilson Triumphs in Defamation Case: Co-Star's Lawsuit Dismissed

Rebel Wilson Triumphs in Defamation Case: Co-Star’s Lawsuit Dismissed

In a dramatic conclusion to a highly publicized feud that traversed different countries and lingered for years, Hollywood star Rebel Wilson has emerged victorious, being cleared of defamation claims made by her co-star via a series of social media posts.

Rebel Wilson, renowned for her role in the Pitch Perfect series, faced legal action from 28-year-old Australian actress Charlotte MacInnes. MacInnes took center stage in Wilson’s inaugural directorial effort, The Deb.

MacInnes alleged that Wilson’s social media commentary painted her in a misleading light, suggesting she was dishonest and compromised her integrity by retracting a sexual harassment complaint to boost her career prospects.

The controversial posts insinuated that MacInnes had confided in Wilson about feeling uneasy when the film’s co-producer, Amanda Ghost, proposed bathing together. It was later alleged she backtracked on these comments.

Firmly rebutting these claims, MacInnes maintained she never lodged nor withdrew a complaint, explaining that sharing a swimwear-clad bath with Ghost in September 2023 had been purely to assist Ghost during a medical incident, without any discomfort.

Two months after the conclusion of the hotly contested court fight in the Federal Court, Justice Elizabeth Raper found in favour of Wilson.

‘MacInnes has failed to establish that the publications have caused or were likely to cause serious harm,’ she said on Wednesday.

Rebel Wilson Triumphs in Defamation Case: Co-Star’s Lawsuit Dismissed

Rebel Wilson was sued by Charlotte MacInnes, the star of her directorial debut film The Deb

Charlotte MacInnes claimed Wilson defamed her in a series of social media posts that implied she was a liar and a sellout who walked back a sexual harassment complaint to further her career

Charlotte MacInnes claimed Wilson defamed her in a series of social media posts that implied she was a liar and a sellout who walked back a sexual harassment complaint to further her career

Justice Raper said MacInnes must pay Wilson’s legal costs following the decision. 

On Wednesday afternoon, Wilson – who did not attend court for the judgement – published a heartfelt statement to social media.

‘Thank you to everyone who has supported me,’ she said.  

‘I’m grateful this chapter has reached its conclusion and I’m looking forward to getting back to what I love most, my family and my work. 

‘Thank you to the Judge and the Australian legal system who I have the utmost respect for.’

Wilson said the legal disruption surrounding her directorial debut with The Deb has been ‘incredibly difficult’.

‘This process has taught me a lot. It has tested me, but it has also reinforced something I’ve always believed,’ she said, adding that she is proud to continue making films.

‘I want to live my life standing up for what I believe is right, while continuing to create work that brings people joy.’

Wilson repeatedly denied accusations she fabricated the complaint or raised it for leverage during disputes with her co-producers over the film's budget and writing credit

Wilson repeatedly denied accusations she fabricated the complaint or raised it for leverage during disputes with her co-producers over the film’s budget and writing credit

The Deb co-producer Amanda Ghost shared a bath with Charlotte MacInnes after a medical episode

The Deb co-producer Amanda Ghost shared a bath with Charlotte MacInnes after a medical episode

MacInnes’ barrister Sue Chrysanthou SC accused Wilson of a ‘complete revision of history’ littered with dishonesty during her emphatic closing address in May.

‘She is a fantastical liar who has made up terrible, terrible allegations about multiple people and her own witnesses have discredited her,’ she said.

‘We say Ms Wilson cannot be believed on anything she has said.’

But Wilson repeatedly denied accusations she fabricated the complaint or raised it for leverage during disputes with her co-producers over the film’s budget and writing credit.

‘I am known as a truth-teller,’ she declared during the hearing.

That was what she had been doing when she posted the stories to her 11 million followers, the Bridesmaids star said.

‘I don’t classify it as an attack, I classify it as telling the truth,’ she told the court.

Her barrister David Sibtain SC said his client had ‘no motive to lie’ about something that would endanger her film by driving a wedge between her lead actor and a producer.

Instead, Mr Sibtain accused MacInnes of dishonestly withdrawing the complaint about Ms Ghost to ensure her relationship with the producer continued to be beneficial. 

He argued MacInnes had received a lead role in a stage production and a six-figure record deal that were linked to Ms Ghost, and wanted to ensure she continued to advance her career. 

‘Ms MacInnes is someone who gave false evidence under oath,’ he said.

‘(She) has suffered no harm, let alone serious harm.’

The young actor sought aggravated damages for the harm allegedly wrought by the posts, including anxiety, a period without work.