HomeUSReport Suggests US Military Plans May Focus on Key Iranian Figures and...

Report Suggests US Military Plans May Focus on Key Iranian Figures and Regime Shift

Share and Follow

Recent discussions have surfaced regarding potential U.S. military actions against Iran, which could involve targeting specific individuals and possibly pursuing regime change. These considerations were revealed in a report highlighting the strategic options under contemplation.

According to two U.S. officials who shared insights with Reuters under the condition of anonymity, these strategies are part of preliminary planning and would require authorization from President Donald Trump. While the officials did not specify which figures might be targeted, it’s worth recalling that in 2020, President Trump ordered a military operation that resulted in the death of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, the leader of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ Quds Force.

Fox News Digital has attempted to contact the White House and the Department of Defense for their comments on the matter.

President Trump, in a recent press briefing at the White House, acknowledged that he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran. The intention behind such an action would be to compel Iranian leadership into negotiations concerning their nuclear program.

President Donald Trump at White House press briefing

As he addressed reporters on February 20, 2026, President Trump spoke about these considerations, indicating the strategic deliberations currently underway in Washington. (Image credit: Allison Robbert/AP)

Last week, when questioned if he wanted regime change in Iran, the president said, “Well it seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” 

Trump on Thursday suggested the window for a breakthrough is narrowing in talks with Iran, indicating Tehran has no more than “10, 15 days, pretty much maximum” to reach an agreement. 

“We’re either going to get a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” he said.

USS Gerald R. Ford

The USS Gerald R. Ford is heading to the Middle East as the U.S. is building up its military presence there, amid talks with Iran. (U.S Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)

A Middle Eastern source with knowledge of the negotiations told Fox News Digital this week that Tehran understands how close the risk of war feels and is unlikely to deliberately provoke Trump at this stage.  

However, the source said Iran cannot accept limitations on its short-range missile program, describing the issue as a firm red line set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.  

Iranian negotiators are not authorized to cross that boundary, and conceding on missiles would be viewed internally as equivalent to losing a war.

Iranian General Qasem Soleimani, left, Former President Donald Trump, right

In 2020, the Pentagon said President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, left, in Iraq. (Getty Images)

The source indicated there may be more flexibility about uranium enrichment parameters if sanctions relief is part of the equation. 

Share and Follow