Details of Trump's phone call with Venezuelan leader emerge
Share and Follow

In a recent development, President Donald Trump and Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro engaged in a phone conversation where the possibility of a face-to-face meeting was broached. This discussion comes amidst ongoing tensions, as the United States has been raising the stakes by threatening military action against Venezuela.

President Trump has taken a decisive stance against alleged Venezuelan drug traffickers, diverging from traditional U.S. foreign policy. He has authorized missile strikes targeting suspected vessels believed to be smuggling drugs into the United States, demonstrating a hardline approach to the issue.

According to a report by The New York Times, insiders familiar with the situation indicated that President Trump held a phone call with President Maduro last week. The conversation touched upon the potential for a meeting between the two leaders, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio was also reportedly present during the call.

However, a different source mentioned to the Times that, as of now, there are no definitive arrangements for such a meeting to take place. This indicates that while dialogue is ongoing, concrete plans have yet to be established. The situation remains fluid as both nations navigate these diplomatic waters.

Another source clarified to the publication that there are currently no concrete plans between the two leaders. 

The Trump administration has repeatedly stood by efforts to kill potential Venezuelan operatives traveling by boat in the Caribbean.  

Current and former officials at the Pentagon have estimated that the lethal campaign against suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers has killed over 80 people, including 11 people on board a boat hit by a US missile strike in September, according to the Washington Post

On Friday the Post reported that two sources with direct knowledge of the operation said that US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth gave intelligence analysts monitoring the boat to ‘kill everybody’ on board on September 2. 

Donald Trump reportedly spoke to Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro last week on the phone as military tensions rose between the two countries

Donald Trump reportedly spoke to Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro last week on the phone as military tensions rose between the two countries 

The Trump administration has condemned Maduro's rule as the Department of War ramps up strikes against potential drug traffickers from Venezuela

The Trump administration has condemned Maduro’s rule as the Department of War ramps up strikes against potential drug traffickers from Venezuela 

The US launched two missile strikes at a vessel believed to be carrying drugs from Venezuela, killing the 11 people on board in the September 2 attack

The US launched two missile strikes at a vessel believed to be carrying drugs from Venezuela, killing the 11 people on board in the September 2 attack

The sources said that the first missile struck the boat and set it on fire, but officials saw two survivors clinging to the wreck once the smoke cleared. 

In line with Hegseth’s lethal direction, a second missile was fired, and the two survivors were ‘blown apart in the water,’ The Post reported. 

Hegseth fired back on the reporting of his chilling message, taking to X on Friday and calling it ‘fabricated, inflammatory, and derogatory.’ 

The Defense Secretary doubled down on the ‘lethal, kinetic strikes’ and confirmed that the administration intends to kill ‘narco-terrorists’ who are ‘poisoning the American people.’ 

‘The Biden administration preferred the kid gloves approach, allowing millions of people – including dangerous cartels and unvetted Afghans – to flood our communities with drugs and violence,’ Hegseth wrote.

‘The Trump administration has sealed the border and gone on offense against narco-terrorists. Biden coddled terrorists, we kill them.’ 

In a separate post shared on Friday evening, Hegseth warned: ‘We have only just begun to kill narco-terrorists.’ 

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell also denied the reporting, telling The Washington Post in a statement: ‘This entire narrative is completely false.’ 

‘Ongoing operations to dismantle narcoterrorism and to protect the Homeland from deadly drugs have been a resounding success.’

The September attack was reportedly led by SEAL Team 6 and overseen by Admiral Frank ‘Mitch’ Bradley, according to the Washington Post. 

Two sources told the outlet that Bradley said on a conference call that the two survivors needed to be killed because they could call other traffickers to save them and their cargo, making them a continued threat. 

One person who watched the live feed of the attack told The Post that the footage was horrifying. 

There’s also a discrepancy in how the White House justified the attacks, with two congressional aides telling the publication that lawmakers were told the follow-up attack was to remove carnage, not kill survivors. 

Politicians and legal experts have disputed Hegseth’s claim that the administration is acting in accordance with international law. 

Representative Seth Moulton called the explanation for the second attack ‘patently absurd,’ noting that ‘killing survivors is blatantly illegal.’ 

‘Mark my words: It may take some time, but Americans will be prosecuted for this, either as a war crime or outright murder,’ Moulton added. 

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth reportedly gave a directive to 'kill everybody' on board the vessel, approving a follow-up strike that killed two survivors

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth reportedly gave a directive to ‘kill everybody’ on board the vessel, approving a follow-up strike that killed two survivors 

Politicians and legal experts have argued that the Trump administration's lethal force in the Caribbean violates international law

Politicians and legal experts have argued that the Trump administration’s lethal force in the Caribbean violates international law  

Todd Huntley, a former military lawyer who advised Special Operations forces, told The Post that since the two countries aren’t in ‘armed conflict’ killing the men ‘amounts to murder.’ 

The United Nations Charter states that the US only has the right to use military force against a vessel if it is engaging in an armed attack. 

Anthony Clark Arend, a Georgetown University specialist in international law, told Politifact that: ‘There has been no evidence presented that the vessel was engaging in an armed attack or was about to be engaging in an armed attack.’

However, Mike LaSusa, the deputy director of a crime and security think tank, told Politifact that it isn’t unprecedented for the US to use lethal military force against suspected drug traffickers.

Since that attack, the Pentagon was estimated to have launched missiles at at least 22 more boats, according to internal data seen by The Post. 

Rubio announced earlier this month that, as of Monday, the department named the Cartel de los Soles as a Foreign Terrorist Organization. 

Rubio stated that the Cartel de Los Soles is a group of high-ranking individuals following Maduro who have corrupted the country’s military, intelligence, legislature, and judiciary, including invoking terrorist violence and trafficking drugs. 

However, experts told CNN that the term is more of a broad description of corrupt officials as opposed to an organized terror group.  

The two leaders reportedly discussed a meeting, although one source said there were no concrete plans

The two leaders reportedly discussed a meeting, although one source said there were no concrete plans 

The Trump administration has vocally opposed Maduro's rule, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio deeming him an illegitimate president

The Trump administration has vocally opposed Maduro’s rule, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio deeming him an illegitimate president 

Trump reportedly told service members on Thanksgiving that the administration was planning on expanding military efforts to land strikes

Trump reportedly told service members on Thanksgiving that the administration was planning on expanding military efforts to land strikes 

The Trump administration has been vocally opposed to Maduro, with Rubio calling the leader an illegitimate president. 

On Thanksgiving, a week after the reported phone call, Trump told service members that the administration was expanding military efforts to land strikes. 

‘In recent weeks, you’ve been working to deter Venezuelan drug traffickers, of which there are many. Of course, there aren’t too many coming in by sea anymore,’ he said. 

Trump added that it was ‘easier’ to intercept potential drug traffickers on land, and that it would be starting ‘very soon.’   

‘We warn them: Stop sending poison to our country,’ he added. 

The Daily Mail has reached out to the White House and the Defense Department for comment.  

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Calls for Anthony Fauci be prosecuted amid Trump's autopen declaration

Legal Storm: Trump’s Autopen Sparks Prosecution Demands Against Fauci

In a fervent wave of criticism, right-wing figures are calling for legal…
Sophisticated porch pirate ring hacked shipment tracking info to steal hundreds of phones, prosecutor says

Cracking the Code: How a High-Tech Porch Pirate Ring Hijacked Shipment Tracking to Loot Hundreds of Phones

Prosecutors in New York have reportedly dismantled an intricate porch pirate operation,…
Fugitive high school coach erased as school scrubs staff profile amid child-porn charges: report

High School Coach’s Profile Removed Amid Child Pornography Allegations: Report

In a developing case that has gripped a Virginia community, a high…
Online shopping scams are on the rise, with scammers using AI to dupe holiday shoppers

AI-Powered Scams Surge: Holiday Shoppers Beware of Rising Online Fraud Tactics

As the holiday shopping season kicks into high gear, spanning from Black…
NFL news: Chicago Bears beat defending Super Bowl champions, Philadelphia Eagles, 24-15 on the road, advance to 9-3

Chicago Bears Triumph Over Super Bowl Champs Eagles with Impressive 24-15 Victory

In Philadelphia, Kyle Monangai powered through for 130 yards and a touchdown,…
How to control your cravings this holiday season: Simple strategies to help you stay on track

Master Your Holiday Cravings: Easy Tips to Stay On Track This Season

As the holiday season approaches in Los Angeles, many are considering how…
12-year-old girl rescued after sand hole collapses in Texas

Miraculous Rescue: 12-Year-Old Girl Survives Texas Sand Hole Collapse

In a harrowing incident on Thanksgiving Day, a young girl’s day at…
Cyber Monday deals 2025 under $100 from Amazon, Walmart and more

Explore 2025’s Best Cyber Monday Deals Under $100 from Amazon, Walmart, and More

As a member of several affiliate marketing programs, Localish will receive a…