HomeUSShocking Daytona Beach Boardwalk Incident: Registered Sex Offender Arrested for Random Attack...

Shocking Daytona Beach Boardwalk Incident: Registered Sex Offender Arrested for Random Attack on Teen

Share and Follow

A Florida man with a criminal record is now in custody after he allegedly attacked a teenager by slashing his neck as the young boy strolled along the Daytona Beach Boardwalk with his family on Valentine’s Day.

The 13-year-old victim, Sullivan Clarke, had spent the day enjoying the Daytona International Speedway. As he walked back to his hotel with his parents, he was engaged in a phone conversation.

Suddenly, Sullivan’s mother, Lori, witnessed a chilling scene as a man approached her son and swiftly cut his neck.

“At first, I thought the man was trying to snatch Sully’s phone,” Lori recounted to FOX 35 Orlando. “When I saw him slash Sullivan, I screamed out ‘Hey!'”

A split of 13-year-old Sullivan Clarke with a bandaged neck and suspect Jermaine Lynn Long.

Images show 13-year-old Sullivan Clarke with his neck bandaged, alongside a mugshot of the suspect, Jermaine Lynn Long. (WOFL; Volusia County Jail)

Sullivan’s father, Jerod, said as soon as they realized what happened, they could see their son’s neck “gashed wide open.”

Doctors told the family if the cut had been one millimeter deeper, the attack would have been fatal.

“The crazy thing is, I turned at the perfect time because I was on the phone and I happened to be looking up at the slingshot [ride] and I turned,” Sullivan said. “That’s how he got the side of my neck and not right [in the center].”

Jermaine Lynn Long mugshot.

Jermaine Lynn Long, 44, of Daytona Beach, is charged with two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, according to Volusia County Jail records.  (Volusia County Jail)

The suspect, identified as Jermaine Lynn Long, 44, of Daytona Beach, was later found hiding near an overpass on the pier.

Long was arrested and is charged with two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, according to Volusia County Jail records. He was granted a $50,000 surety bond.

Jail records show Long was released from jail just four days before the attack and had pending charges from an incident in January for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and touching or striking another person.

Teen standing with parents in an interview.

A teen explained how he was stabbed in the neck on a Daytona Beach Boardwalk. (WOFL)

He also has a lengthy criminal history, with prior arrests including:

  • Oct. 19, 2022: Refusing to leave public property
  • Oct. 30, 2022: Battery, possession of paraphernalia, possession of a schedule II substance, introducing contraband into a detention facility, and resisting a transit agent while committing theft
  • March 2, 2023: Failure of sex offender to properly register and refusing to leave public property
  • Sept. 29, 2025: Petit theft
  • Oct. 16, 2025: Possession of paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription
  • Dec. 15, 2025: Refusing to leave public property

A local worker, Andrew Walker, told FOX 35 he was “blown away” because he had spoken with Long minutes before the attack.

“I see the man come down in cuffs, and I was like blown away because that was the same dude I saw walking past me, that just stabbed somebody in the neck,” Walker said.

Long has refused to talk to investigators and police have not yet determined a motive, according to the outlet.

Share and Follow