Jacksonville council tensions rise amid budget debate and walkout
Share and Follow


Jacksonville City Council’s meeting turned contentious as members debated amendments blocking funding for certain services, causing a walkout.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — What started as a regularly scheduled Jacksonville City Council meeting quickly turned into a heated one that stretched late into the night. Tensions rose as councilmembers debated the tentative millage rate and budget. 

The meeting began at 5 p.m. Tuesday and, after more than six hours, was still ongoing at 11 p.m. Council spent the first four and a half hours discussing and voting on the tentative millage rate and budget. While they came to a conclusion on the millage rate, they were unable to bring the tentative budget to a vote, forcing the meeting to continue into the night. 

The debate turned contentious when several councilmembers walked out of the chamber. Councilmembers Rahman Johnson, Jimmy Peluso, Ju’Coby Pittman, and Reggie Gaffney left in protest after heated discussions over what have been called the “Big Beautiful Amendments,” introduced by Councilman Rory Diamond.

The amendments would block funding for immigrants without legal status, abortion services, and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. Those who walked out said the language in the amendments was “offensive” and “divisive,” and they called for it to be removed.

However, the effort to remove the bill ultimately failed. 

Councilman Johnson explained his decision to leave, saying, “For me it was just a gut reaction. What I heard in those amendments was that people that look like me don’t exist, and I just couldn’t sit there hearing that again. I’m gonna keep fighting, whether it be standing up and walking to get attention, whatever it takes, I’m gonna do my part to make sure the voices of everybody are heard.”

Johnson said Mayor Donna Deegan called him later that evening to check in after the walkout.

The walkout prompted immediate reaction from remaining councilmembers, with Councilman Raul Arias questioning whether the move had been organized.

Councilman Diamond, who introduced the amendments, tweeted shortly after the incident: “A minority of the Jax Council [is] trying to hold our budget hostage so they can keep DEI, services for illegals, and taxpayer funded abortion in the budget.”

The four councilmembers returned to their seats about an hour later, and discussions on the budget resumed. In a 10–8 vote, council ultimately passed the tentative millage rate proposed by Mayor Deegan, set at 11.3169 mills. The decision came after three voting attempts. On the final round, the vote was tied 9–9 until Councilman Salem switched his vote from no to yes to allow proceedings to continue. 

Nothing is set in stone until the budget is passed. The full council will vote on the budget and related items on September 23 at 3 p.m. at City Hall.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
FILE - Migrants deported months before by the United States to El Salvador under the Trump administration

Legal Showdown: Trump Officials and Judge Clash Over El Salvador Flight Contempt Case

On March 15, two aircraft transporting Venezuelan migrants from the United States…
VIDEO: Florida deputies arrest 3 teens involved in "door kick challenge"

Watch: Florida Teens Arrested for Viral ‘Door Kick Challenge’ Prank – What You Need to Know!

ST. JOHNS, Fla. (WFLA) — On November 23, the St. Johns County…
Simone Biles does split with a bottle of tequila after private jet trip for Bears' Black Friday game

Simone Biles Celebrates in Style with Tequila Toast After Private Jet Ride to Bears’ Game

Simone Biles touched down in Philadelphia on Thanksgiving, arriving via private jet…
Calls for Anthony Fauci be prosecuted amid Trump's autopen declaration

Legal Storm: Trump’s Autopen Sparks Prosecution Demands Against Fauci

In a fervent wave of criticism, right-wing figures are calling for legal…
ICE in Chicago: Federal agents engaged in widespread misrepresentations to justify use of force, Judge Ellis says

Chicago ICE Agents Accused of Misleading Tactics to Justify Force, Judge Ellis Reveals

CHICAGO (WLS) — In a revealing investigation, the ABC7 I-Team delves into…
FILE - Former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, second from right, is taken in handcuffs to a waiting aircraft as he is extradited to the United States, at an Air Force base in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, April 21, 2022. (AP Photo/Elmer Martinez, File)

Trump Vows to Pardon Ex-Honduran President Hernandez Amid 2024 Drug Trafficking Conviction Controversy

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida — Former U.S. President Donald Trump announced on…
President Donald Trump says he's terminating all orders Joe Biden signed with autopen

Trump Vows to Revoke Biden’s Autopen Orders: A Bold Move in Presidential Power Play

WASHINGTON, DC — On Friday, former President Donald Trump announced that any…
Liberals blame Trump for 'terror attack' against National Guard

Liberals Hold Trump Accountable for Alleged ‘Terror Attack’ on National Guard

A former chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz,…