Trump says US is in 'armed conflict' with drug cartels after ordering strikes in the Caribbean
Share and Follow

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has declared drug cartels to be unlawful combatants and says the United States is now in a “non-international armed conflict,” according to a Trump administration memo obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday, following recent U.S. strikes on boats in the Caribbean.

Congress was notified about the designation by Pentagon officials on Wednesday, according to a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The move comes after the U.S. military last month carried out three deadly strikes against alleged drug-smuggling boats in the Caribbean. At least two of those operations were carried out on vessels that originated from Venezuela.

Those strikes followed up a buildup of U.S. maritime forces in the Caribbean.

“Although friendly foreign nations have made significant efforts to combat these organizations, suffering significant losses of life, these groups are now transnational and conduct ongoing attacks throughout the Western Hemisphere as organized cartels,” according to the memo, which refers to cartel members as “unlawful combatants.” “Therefore, the President determined these cartels are non-state armed groups, designated them as terrorist organizations, and determined that their actions constitute an armed attack against the United States.”

Pentagon officials could not provide a list of the designated terrorist organizations at the center of the conflict, a matter that was a major source of frustration for some of the lawmakers who were briefed, according to the person.

Lawmakers have been pressing Trump to go to Congress and seek war powers authority for such operations.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

What the Trump administration laid out at the closed-door classified briefing was perceived by several senators as pursuing a new legal framework that raised questions particularly regarding the role of Congress in authorizing any such action, the person familiar with the matter said.

As the Republican administration takes aim at vessels in the Caribbean, senators and lawmakers of both major political parties have raised stark objections. Some had previously called on Congress to exert its authority under the War Powers Act that would prohibit the administration’s strikes unless they were authorized by Congress.

The first military strike, carried out on Sept. 2 on what the Trump administration said was a drug-carrying speedboat, killed 11 people. Trump claimed the boat was operated by the Tren de Aragua gang, which was listed by the U.S. as a foreign terrorist organization earlier this year.

The Trump administration has justified the military action as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs into the United States.

But several senators, Democrats and some Republicans, as well as human rights groups questioned the legality of Trump’s action. They called it potential overreach of executive authority in part because the military was used for law enforcement purposes.

By claiming his campaign against drug cartels is an active armed conflict, Trump appears to be claiming extraordinary wartime powers to justify his action.

Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committees, said the drug cartels are “despicable and must be dealt with by law enforcement.”

“The Trump Administration has offered no credible legal justification, evidence, or intelligence for these strikes,” said Reed, a former Army officer who served in the 82nd Airborne Division.

The Trump administration has yet to explain how the military assessed the boats’ cargo and determined the passengers’ alleged gang affiliation before the strikes.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Trump orders pause on asylum decisions after attack on National Guard

Trump Temporarily Halts Asylum Decisions Following National Guard Attack

The Trump administration has initiated a temporary halt on asylum decisions across…
President Donald Trump says he's terminating all orders Joe Biden signed with autopen

Trump Vows to Revoke Biden’s Autopen Orders: A Bold Move in Presidential Power Play

WASHINGTON, DC — On Friday, former President Donald Trump announced that any…
Robert A.M. Stern, noted American architect, dies at 86

Renowned American Architect Robert A.M. Stern Passes Away at 86

Renowned architect Robert A.M. Stern, a significant influence in American architecture, passed…
Father of fallen National Guard member calls her death a 'horrible tragedy' in heartbreaking post

Heartbreaking Tribute: Father Mourns ‘Horrible Tragedy’ of Fallen National Guard Hero

In a poignant message shared on Facebook, Gary Beckstrom announced the tragic…
Exclusive | Marine vet tells The Post why some Afghans 'turn on' US forces they fight with: 'Happens a lot more than people suspect'

Veteran Reveals Surprising Reasons Behind Afghan Allies’ Betrayal of US Troops

WASHINGTON — A Marine Force Reconnaissance veteran, who completed eight deployments in…
Netflix star, 55, plunges to his death after horror fall from roof

Tragic Fall: Netflix Star’s Fatal Roof Accident at 55 Shocks Fans Worldwide

A voice actor for Netflix and film performer tragically lost his life…
Airbus issues emergency warning for 6,000 passenger jets

Urgent Safety Alert: Airbus Warns 6,000 Passenger Jets to Ground for Immediate Checks

Airbus, a leading global aircraft manufacturer, has issued a significant warning that…
NFL news: Chicago Bears beat defending Super Bowl champions, Philadelphia Eagles, 24-15 on the road, advance to 9-3

Chicago Bears Triumph Over Super Bowl Champs Eagles with Impressive 24-15 Victory

In Philadelphia, Kyle Monangai powered through for 130 yards and a touchdown,…