Share and Follow
The Trump administration has initiated a temporary halt on asylum decisions across the country following a shooting incident involving two National Guard members in Washington, D.C. earlier this week.
This directive was communicated to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officers through an internal memo issued on Friday, as reported by CBS News. This move represents the latest in a series of actions by President Donald Trump’s administration aimed at tightening immigration controls, particularly in light of the recent attack.
The shooting, which occurred on Wednesday, is believed to have been carried out by a 29-year-old Afghan immigrant. In response, USCIS asylum officers have been instructed to temporarily cease approving, denying, or closing any asylum applications they receive.
Following the CBS News article revealing this policy change, the State Department announced that immigration applications from Afghanistan would undergo increased examination, reflecting heightened security concerns.
After CBS News reported on the new policy stance, the State Department added that immigration from Afghanistan will receive extra scrutiny.
‘The Department of State has IMMEDIATELY paused visa issuance for individuals traveling on Afghan passports. The Department is taking all necessary steps to protect U.S. national security and public safety,’ the agency wrote on X.
The shooting occurred near the White House and officials said the suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, entered the country during President Joe Biden‘s chaotic military withdrawal from Afghanistan in August 2021.
He was granted entry under a program called Operation Allies Welcome, which sought to provide safe haven to Afghans looking to flee Taliban rule in their country.
The Trump administration ordered a pause on all asylum decisions after two National Guard members were shot this week in Washington, DC
Pictured: Soldiers gather in a cordoned off area where the West Virginia National Guard members were shot on Wednesday
The West Virginia National Guard members that were shot were Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24.
Trump announced on Thursday that Beckstrom had died, while Wolfe was in critical condition as of Friday.
Because Lakanwal entered the country under Biden’s watch, the Trump administration is now reviewing all asylum approvals during the Biden era.
Lakanwal, who is expected to be charged with first-degree murder, was granted asylum by the Trump administration sometime this year after applying in 2024.Â
The pause ordered by Trump means that people in countries who are suffering from persecution or state violence won’t have the opportunity to get their asylum claims fully processed.
In-person appointments for asylum seekers will be canceled, at least for this coming Monday, the directive from the White House said.
Instructions to USCIS officers made clear that they could continue working asylum cases up until the point that a final decision needs to be made.
‘Once you’ve reached decision entry, stop and hold,’ the directive said.
Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, has since died from injuries she sustained in the shooting
Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, was in critical condition as of Friday
Pictured: The suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, entered the country during President Joe Biden’s chaotic military withdrawal from Afghanistan in August 2021. He came under a program that allowed in thousands of refugees fleeing the Taliban’s draconian rule
USCIS Director Joe Edlow confirmed that all asylum decisions would be paused but did not offer a strict timeline for when they might resume.
‘USCIS has halted all asylum decisions until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible. The safety of the American people always comes first,’ he said on X.
Edlow said on Thursday that he had ordered a ‘full scale, rigorous reexamination’ of green card cases involving nationals from Trump’s ‘travel ban’ issued in June.
It was a list of 19 countries, including Afghanistan, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Cuba, Haiti, Venezuela and a number of other nations in the Middle East and Asia.
‘Certain countries (including but not limited to Afghanistan, Eritrea, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, and Venezuela) lack a competent or central authority for issuing passports and civil documents among other concerns, which directly relates to USCIS’ ability to meaningfully assess eligibility for benefit requests including identity, and therefore whether an alien warrants a favorable exercise of discretion,’ according to guidance issued Thursday by the USCIS.