Illegal migrant caught working as police officer in MaineĀ agrees to voluntarily self deport
Share and Follow

A man who overstayed his visa and became a police officer in Maine has agreed to leave the US voluntarily after being detained by federal immigration agents when he tried to purchase a firearm.

On Monday, a judge approved the voluntary departure of Jamaican citizen Jon Luke Evans, who previously served as a reserve officer for the Old Orchard Beach Police Department, according to WMTW-TV.

He must pay his own way to leave the United States within a set time under the voluntary departure order.

Evans needed to admit to his unlawful status in the United States, waive any applications for legal residency, and demonstrate both his intention and financial means to leave the country to receive the voluntary departure.

Evans was arrested in Biddeford on July 25 after the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) was informed that he attempted to purchase a gun.

He was being held at the Plymouth County Correctional Facility in Massachusetts, but he was later transferred to the Wyatt Detention Center in Central Falls, Rhode Island, the outlet reported.

Evans initially entered the US legally on a weeklong visa through Miami International Airport in September 2023.

Although he was scheduled to leave the country on Oct. 1, 2023, he failed to do so and ultimately became a police officer in Maine.

By May, Evans joined the police force as a seasonal officer for the popular tourist town.

As part of his hiring process, Evans underwent a background check, physical and medical screenings and law enforcement training.

The department also sent his employment documents to the Department of Homeland Security to confirm Evans’ eligibility to work in the US, the department said.

The DHS stated that Evans had an eligible work permit that was set to expire in March 2030, according to the police department.

ā€œOur department and our community relied on the Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify program to ensure we were meeting our obligations,ā€ Police Chief Elise Chard told Fox News Digital.

ā€œWe are distressed and deeply concerned about this apparent error on the part of the federal government.ā€

E-Verify is an online system that allows employers to check if potential employees are eligible to work in the US.

His role as a reserve officer prevented him from taking department-issued firearms home or carrying his own weapons on the job.

Chard clarified that reserve officers are neither permitted to supply their own firearms nor authorized to carry non-issued weapons while on duty.

The town is aware of reports that Evans plans to leave the country voluntarily.

ā€œThe town reiterates its ongoing commitment to meeting all state and federal laws regarding employment,ā€ Chard said in a statement.

ā€œWe will continue to rely on the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form and the E-Verify database to confirm employment eligibility.ā€

Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security Tricia McLaughlin stated that the police department had a ā€œreckless relianceā€ on the E-Verify Program and should have conducted further research to verify the individual’s legal status, according to WMTW-TV.

ā€œUsage of E-Verify does not absolve employers of their legal duty to verify documentation authenticity, and all employers should take necessary steps to effectively verify legal employment status,ā€ McLaughlin said.

ā€œNo illegal alien should ever be provided a firearm or serve in law enforcement, not only is it the law, it’s also basic common sense.ā€

However, McLaughlin also stated that E-Verify ā€œdelivers high accuracy in verifying work authorization by cross-checking employee documents against government databases to combat rampant document fraud and protecting American workers.ā€

Officials in Old Orchard Beach countered that the federal government has encouraged employers nationwide to adopt E-Verify.

ā€œSimply stated, had the federal government flagged his information, my town would not have hired Mr. Evans,ā€ Chard said.

ā€œAny insinuation that the town and department were derelict in our efforts to verify Mr. Evans’ eligibility to work for the town is false and appears to be an attempt to shift the blame onto a hard-working local law enforcement agency that has done its job.ā€

with Post wires

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Vanderbilt quarterback Diego Pavia's brother arrested for public intoxication at game for second time this season

Vanderbilt QB Diego Pavia’s Brother Faces Second Public Intoxication Arrest at Game This Season

During a gripping match between Vanderbilt and Tennessee, attention was unexpectedly drawn…
Chicago Public Schools policy allows unlimited absences for illegal alien children amid ICE operations

Chicago Schools Implement Flexible Attendance Policy for Children of Undocumented Immigrants During ICE Raids

EXCLUSIVE: Chicago Public Schools (CPS) have implemented a policy permitting students who…
Scantily-clad Jordon Hudson shows off her figure and new $100k car

Jordon Hudson Flaunts Stunning Figure and Luxurious $100k Car in Bold New Look

Jordon Hudson, with a serious expression and dressed in minimal attire, was…
How to prepare for the next government shutdown

Strategies for Navigating the Upcoming Government Shutdown

Government shutdowns, though periodically surfacing in the U.S., reached a new milestone…
Meet the 'hardcore' twink taking on a Kennedy heir for NYC glory

Unlikely Contender: ‘Hardcore’ Twink Challenges Kennedy Legacy for NYC Spotlight

A 140-pound, 5-foot-10-inch self-proclaimed socialist ‘twink’ who steers clear of alcohol, marijuana,…
Beauty influencer dead at 31 after being found dumped in forest

Tragic Loss: Beauty Influencer’s Mysterious Death at 31 Sparks Investigation

Tragic news emerges as 31-year-old influencer Stefanie Pieper has been discovered dead…
Travis Turner's son seen for first time since his father disappeared

First Public Appearance of Travis Turner’s Son Following Father’s Disappearance

Speaking with a voice laced with emotion, the son of a former…
Details of Trump's phone call with Venezuelan leader emerge

Revealed: Inside Trump’s Private Phone Conversation with Venezuela’s President

In a recent development, President Donald Trump and Venezuelan President NicolĆ”s Maduro…