Share and Follow
Tensions flared on Monday in New York City’s upscale Upper East Side as locals gathered in large numbers for a public meeting to express outrage over a proposed homeless shelter. The community members voiced concerns, suggesting the project appears to be driven by profit rather than genuine humanitarian intent.
The shelter, originally designed to house men but converted to accommodate women following significant local opposition, is expected to open in April. It will provide refuge for up to 250 women.
During a Community Board 8 Manhattan meeting organized by Housing Solutions of New York (HSNY), frustrated residents raised alarms about the shelter’s proximity to schools and daycare centers. They accused city officials of hastily advancing the project to minimize public engagement, alleging that the deal seems profitable for developers while neglecting the interests of the neighborhood.
City authorities reportedly informed local representatives in early 2025 that the project had been put on hold indefinitely. However, in a surprising turn, it was announced as nearly complete and ready to open by January 2026, leaving the community with only a short window to mobilize before its opening.

The streets of the Carnegie Hill neighborhood were bustling with activity on Tuesday, June 27, 2023, as residents went about their day. (Photo by Gabby Jones/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
“What we’re offended by is the lack of notification and the wrong location. It shouldn’t be here,” community member Bonnie Barend said, criticizing the site’s suitability.Â
“And I’m also offended by the way you’ve been talking to these great citizens here tonight. They care about their community. They care about your safety, their children’s safety. We shouldn’t be denigrating anyone here.”
In response, city representatives and some locals emphasized the urgent need for homeless services in districts that lack proper resources.Â
To address concerns, the board said the facility will feature heavy security, strict curfews, and a ban on residents with specific criminal histories, especially women on probation or parole for sex offenses due to the nearby school.

A homeless person sleeps on a New York City street alongside their possessions. (Deb Cohn-Orbach/UCG/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)
However, when HSNY Chief Program Officer Dr. Xellex Rivera explained that they only ask newcomers about their criminal history, the crowd erupted in outrage, with one resident shouting, “Unacceptable! That is not a background check.”
Rivera responded, “That is fair. I 100% agree with everybody. That is fair,” adding that while they can check sex offender registries, they cannot conduct a full criminal background check.
Other residents raised concerns about the shelter’s proximity to a legal cannabis dispensary and a Home Depot, arguing that tools sold there could be used as weapons and suggesting that guards should be armed. A local father also cited a recent tragedy at a shelter in Long Island City to highlight potential risks to children.

A woman attempts to stay out of a windy corridor with her belongings February 17, 2025 in New York City. (Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images)
Tensions remained high as community members and city representatives continued to clash, with one resident shouting at board chairperson Valerie Mason, “You’re not advocating for us!”Â
During the uproar, the moderator added, “There are valid concerns being expressed but if you’re going to yell at me, it doesn’t help to get them aired.”
Board member Todd “TJ” Stein also expressed disappointment with the process, saying, “This was just unfortunately, not a really well-run meeting. And that just sucks… we as a community had three weeks to basically be thrown this information.”
In closing remarks, Valerie Mason acknowledged the atmosphere: “I know it didn’t start off that great, but people were a little hot-tempered and not willing to understand how the process works.”