Simone Biles’ Husband Shares Experience of Escaping Robbery Attempt in Milan

Jonathan Owens, husband to renowned gymnast Simone Biles, recently shared his experience of a thwarted robbery attempt while in Milan for the 2026 Winter...
HomeAUAuthorities Intensify Search for Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont in Remote Outback Area

Authorities Intensify Search for Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont in Remote Outback Area

Share and Follow

The search for a missing four-year-old boy in South Australia has once again been set into motion, following the police’s recent classification of the case as a major crime. Authorities have now identified a potential suspect in connection to the boy’s disappearance.

Gus Lamont was last seen on September 27 by his grandmother, playing at the Oak Park Station homestead located in the remote areas of South Australia. As the investigation unfolds, police announced on February 5 that an individual residing at the station is under suspicion concerning Gus’s disappearance and possible demise.

The investigation has confirmed that at the time of his disappearance, Gus’s grandparents, mother, and younger brother were present at the property. However, the police have clarified that his parents are not considered suspects in the case.

On Monday, law enforcement officials disclosed that officers have returned to the sheep station, situated 45 kilometers south of Yunta in the state’s Mid North region. They plan to intensify their search for any evidence, committing to remain in the area for a minimum of two more days.

On Monday, police announced that officers had returned to the sheep station, 45km south of Yunta in the state’s Mid North, to continue searching for evidence and would remain in the area for at least the next two days.

South Australia Police detective superintendent Darren Fielke previously said that a person who lived at the station had withdrawn cooperation in the investigation after “a number of inconsistencies and discrepancies” were identified in the information they provided.

Gus’ grandparents Josie and Shannon Murray released a brief statement via their lawyers earlier in February in response to the police allegations.

“We are absolutely devastated by the media release of SAPOL Major Crime,” they said.

“The family has co-operated fully with the investigation and want nothing more than to find Gus and reunite him with his mum and dad.”

Initial searches were based on Gus walking off the station and becoming lost but the case was later declared a major crime.

The two other investigation options were focused on the preschooler being abducted or whether someone known to him was involved in his disappearance and suspected death.

“We don’t believe now that Gus is alive,” Fielke said.

A boy with curly blond hair.
Gus Lamont’s grandparents, his mother and his younger brother were at the property at the time he disappeared but police have stressed his parents were not suspects. Source: Supplied / SA Police

Investigators searched the homestead on 14 and 15 January, seizing items including a vehicle, a motorcycle and electronic devices for forensic testing.

Fielke said ground and aerial searches had failed to locate Gus or any items belonging to him and family members had provided information that police had reviewed.

Gus’s disappearance sparked intensive searches spanning almost 500sq km and involving hundreds of police and volunteers as well as aerial support and mounted units.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow