Join Statesboro’s Exciting Arbor Day Celebration on February 21st!

STATESBORO, Ga. — Statesboro is set to host its annual Arbor Day festivities this Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon at Marvin Avenue Park. For...
HomeAUBomb Scare at Perth Rally Investigated as Possible Terrorist Threat

Bomb Scare at Perth Rally Investigated as Possible Terrorist Threat

Share and Follow
The declaration tonight came amid growing calls for the incident on Monday to be treated as terrorism.
“The Western Australia Joint Counter Terrorism Team (WA JCTT) can confirm it is investigating the incident at Forrest Place in Perth on Australia Day as a potential terrorist act,” the WA Police Force, Australian Federal Police and Australian Security Intelligence Organisation said in a joint statement.
Police have released footage of the moment a homemade bomb was allegedly thrown into a crowd of thousands at a Perth Invasion Day rally. (WA Police)

A 31-year-old man is facing charges; however, his name remains undisclosed due to safety concerns.

CCTV footage released yesterday afternoon appears to show a man dressed in black launching the device from a balcony outside Myer and taking off as it lands in a crowd of 2500.

The device failed to explode, and thankfully, no one was injured.

Invasion Day protest organizers at Forrest Place in the central business district have criticized authorities, suggesting that police and government officials are minimizing the alleged intent behind the incident.

“If this had involved a white group, the police would have classified it as a hate crime or an act of terrorism, and their response would have been entirely different,” rally organizer Fabian Yarran stated today.

Prior to the official classification, Emergency Services Minister Paul Papalia commented that reclassifying the incident would not alter the police’s approach.

“Declaring something a terrorist incident requires confirmation of the motivation behind the individual and I’m not sure that they understand the motivations behind this individual at the moment,” he said.

The protest was able to continue after the threat was neutralised.
The protest was able to continue after the threat was neutralised. (Nine)

After the September 11 attacks in the US, national terrorism laws were introduced in Australia carrying a maximum sentence of life in prison. 

They allow people to be charged with a raft of offences including engaging in an act of terrorism and planning an attack. 

The 31-year-old man was charged with making or possessing explosives under suspicious circumstances and one count of an unlawful act or omission with intent to harm. He was not charged with any terror-related offences but investigators today said their investigation was continuing and didn’t rule out further charges.

Greens MP Sophie McNeill, who was at the rally, said the alleged attack was “clearly designed to terrorise”.

“Yet so far the alleged attacker has not been charged with such offences,” she said.

University of Western Australia Associate Professor Tamara Tulich said a terrorist act was defined in the criminal code as having three elements: purpose, motive and harm.

A home in the northern Perth suburb of Warwick was searched by police yesterday.
A home was searched by police on Monday. (Nine)

Human Rights Commission wants incident treated like Bondi

The Australian Human Rights Commission tonight urged national action on racism in response to the incident.

Social Justice Commissioner Katie Kiss called for the “potential mass casualty event” to be treated with the same urgency and seriousness as the Bondi Beach terrorist attack in December.

“Invasion Day gatherings are spaces for truth‑telling, cultural strength and calls for justice – not fear,” Kiss said in a statement tonight.

“While the motive is yet to be determined, there is no question that the targets of the attack were Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their allies.

“Had the device detonated the results could have been catastrophic, and potentially as deadly as the Bondi terrorist attack.”

Race Discrimination Commissioner Giridharan Sivaraman said hate and discrimination must be addressed urgently and comprehensively.

“The Australian Human Rights Commission’s National Anti-Racism Framework, which the federal government has yet to endorse and implement, provides a blueprint for effective action for tackling racism,” he said. 

“We cannot afford to wait any longer. Precious lives and freedoms are at imminent risk.”

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow