Legendary Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84, Leaving a Legacy of Activism and Change

(The Hill) – The distinguished civil rights icon, Rev. Jesse Jackson, passed away early Tuesday, as confirmed by his family. He had been contending...
HomeAUGaza's Rafah Crossing Set to Reopen on Monday, Israel Confirms

Gaza’s Rafah Crossing Set to Reopen on Monday, Israel Confirms

Share and Follow


Plans are in motion to reopen Gaza’s main border crossing at Rafah for Palestinians later today, according to an announcement from Israel. This development marks a significant change for the war-torn region, where the Rafah crossing, a critical link to the outside world, has been mostly closed for nearly two years.

Prior to the conflict, the Rafah border crossing with Egypt served as the primary outlet for most Gazans seeking to leave the territory and was a vital conduit for humanitarian aid. Since May 2024, the crossing has been predominantly closed and has remained under Israeli military oversight on the Gazan side.

The Israeli military unit COGAT, responsible for humanitarian coordination, confirmed that the crossing will be accessible in both directions, permitting Gaza residents to cross on foot. This operation will be closely coordinated with both Egypt and the European Union, though there was no indication of an imminent influx of humanitarian assistance.

Despite a ceasefire that has been in effect since October 10, the humanitarian situation in Gaza remains critical after two years of ongoing conflict. The reopening of the Rafah crossing offers a glimmer of hope amid these challenging conditions.

Humanitarian conditions remain dire in Gaza after two years of war, despite a ceasefire in place since 10 October.

The crossing has been closed since Israeli forces seized control of it in 2024 during the war with Hamas, aside from a brief and limited reopening in early 2025.

Israel has said the crossing would open under stringent security checks only for Palestinians who wish to leave the war-ravaged enclave and for those who fled the fighting in the first months of the war to return.

Many of those expected to leave are sick and wounded Gazans in need of medical care abroad. The Palestinian health ministry has said that there are 20,000 patients waiting to leave Gaza.

Footage showed a queue of ambulances at the crossing on the Egyptian side, though sources told the Agence France-Presse news agency none had been allowed into Gaza yet.

“The opening of Rafah opens a small door of hope for patients, students and people in Gaza,” Amin Al-Hilu, 53, who lives in a tent in the territory’s Al-Shati camp, told the agency.

“We need the crossing to fully open for travel and bringing in goods without Israeli restrictions, and this I think will require major pressure on Israel.”

Israel had previously said it would not reopen the crossing until the body of Ran Gvili — the last Israeli hostage held in Gaza — was returned.

His remains were recovered days ago, and he was laid to rest in Israel on Wednesday, with COGAT announcing the reopening two days later.

COGAT described Sunday’s reopening as “an initial pilot phase” coordinated with the European Union, adding that the parties were carrying out “preliminary preparations aimed at increasing readiness for full operation of the crossing”.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow