
This article contains references to child abuse.
An Australian childcare worker faces serious allegations, accused of being one of the country’s most notorious child abuse offenders. His alleged crimes, taking place over more than 15 years, span numerous childcare centers.
The 35-year-old is accused of producing and distributing child abuse material, affecting a total of 158 victims, of whom 136 have been identified.
The victims, all either in pre-school or primary school, were allegedly targeted from 2009 to 2025 at 62 different childcare facilities where the man either worked or visited.
He was taken into custody in July 2025 as part of Operation Moonbi after authorities discovered nearly 2.5 million files on electronic devices located at his residence. He remains in custody facing charges.
He was initially charged with eight counts of online child abuse material offences on 10 July 2025, and was later charged with additional offences in April, June and July 2026 that have now reached 329 offences in total.
Dozens of families affected
Australian Federal Police (AFP) Acting Commander Luke Needham said contact had been made with more than 121 families affected in Australia and overseas.
“The abuse of trust we alleged has occurred is devastating and will have lifelong ramifications for victims and their families,” he told reporters on Monday.
“All I can say is we never gave up and we never will.”
Needham said some of the material was shared overseas, with the majority of the man’s alleged industrial-scale offences taking place across dozens of centres in Sydney.
The AFP published a list of the charges he faces on Monday.
It includes 162 counts of producing child abuse material and 81 counts of filming a person engaged in a private act without consent.
Education Minister Jason Clare said he would not comment on the accused but vowed the federal government’s crackdown on the sector to weed out offenders would continue.
“I have been pretty blunt that not enough has been done in the past to keep our kids safe,” he said.
He pointed to the establishment of a new National Early Childhood Worker Register, mandatory child safety training for educators and a national CCTV trial in centres as some of the new safeguards implemented.
“This is not the end. It’s just the start. The terrible truth is this work will never end.”
The case comes after the childcare sector underwent a national reckoning over widespread allegations of abuse and neglect.
Readers seeking support can ring Lifeline crisis support on 13 11 14 or text 0477 13 11 14, Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467 and Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 (for young people aged 5 to 25). More information is available at beyondblue.org.au and lifeline.org.au.
Anyone seeking information or support relating to sexual abuse can contact Bravehearts on 1800 272 831 or Blue Knot on 1300 657 380.