
This article contains references to sexual assault.
Authorities are currently probing an alleged sexual assault involving some players from the Sydney Swans in Melbourne.
On Monday, Victoria Police announced that a sexual assault case was under investigation, following Sydney’s confirmation that multiple members of the Swans squad were implicated in what has been described as an “alleged incident.”
Officers were dispatched to the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday, responding to an event that reportedly occurred during the early hours of the day.
The Sydney Swans had stayed overnight at the hotel following their impressive 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG, a win that secured their position in second place on the ladder and guaranteed a home qualifying final.
On Monday afternoon, Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed the media in Sydney and again confirmed players had been involved in an “alleged incident”, but didn’t offer further details.
“We can confirm that several players were involved in an alleged incident last night in Melbourne,” Pavlich said.
“We’ve identified this to the AFL that we are working with them and also the relevant authorities on this matter.
“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing.
“But safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.
“We understand the level of interest in the matter, and there’d be lots of speculation, but given it’s a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.”
Pavlich was asked whether anyone was arrested.
“As I said, it’s a police matter ongoing. I’m not going to comment any further on it right now,” Pavlich said.
Police had earlier confirmed they were investigating a report of sexual assault.
“Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” Victoria Police said in a statement provided to the Australian Associated Press.
“The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.
“The exact circumstances are yet to be established, and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.”
The AFL has been contacted for comment.
If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.