We have a curated list of the most noteworthy news from all across the globe. With any subscription plan, you get access to exclusive articles that let you stay ahead of the curve.
We have a curated list of the most noteworthy news from all across the globe. With any subscription plan, you get access to exclusive articles that let you stay ahead of the curve.
We have a curated list of the most noteworthy news from all across the globe. With any subscription plan, you get access to exclusive articles that let you stay ahead of the curve.
We have a curated list of the most noteworthy news from all across the globe. With any subscription plan, you get access to exclusive articles that let you stay ahead of the curve.
An exhausted Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was seen leaving a police station late Thursday night after his arrest sent shockwaves around the globe.
Earlier that day, officers...
United Nations secretary-general Antonio Guterres has called on Israel to reverse its decision to ban dozens of international aid organisations working in Gaza and the occupied West Bank.
The move would further worsen the humanitarian crisis facing Palestinians, Guterres warned, according to his spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric.
“This announcement comes on top of earlier restrictions that have already delayed critical food, medical, hygiene and shelter supplies from entering Gaza. This recent action will further exacerbate the humanitarian crisis facing Palestinians,” Dujarric said in a statement.
In December, Israel moved to suspend more than two dozen humanitarian organisations, including Doctors Without Borders, CARE and Oxfam from operating in the Gaza Strip for failing to comply with new registration rules.
In a move that sparked widespread concern, Israel announced last year that aid organizations would need to register the names of their staff and disclose details about their funding and operations to continue their work in Gaza. This requirement has raised significant challenges for humanitarian efforts in the region.
Israeli authorities demanded aid groups register from January 1, a requirement many organisations reject as unlawful.
The new regulations also include ideological requirements — including disqualifying organisations that have called for boycotts against Israel, denied the October 7 attack or expressed support for any of the international court cases against Israeli soldiers or leaders.
Israel says the rules are aimed at preventing Hamas and other militant groups from infiltrating aid organisations. But the organisations say the rules are arbitrary and warned the new ban would harm a civilian population desperately in need of humanitarian aid.
According to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, banned organisations must cease their activities by March.
In a joint statement issued by Oxfam on behalf of 53 international non-governmental organisations, the groups called on Israel to “immediately halt deregistration proceedings and lift measures obstructing humanitarian assistance.”
“We urge donor governments to use all available leverage to secure the suspension and reversal of these actions,” the statement added.
Doctors Without Borders, a prominent international aid group, issued a strong statement condemning the measure. They described Israel’s actions as a “cynical and calculated attempt” to hinder organizations from delivering essential services in both Gaza and the West Bank. The organization further accused Israel of violating its obligations under international humanitarian law, underscoring the potential humanitarian impact of such restrictions.
Organisations are also reportedly required to disclose confidential information about Palestinian employees and to dismiss staff upon request without being given reasons.
The involvement of a party to the conflict in personnel checks is seen as a violation of humanitarian principles such as neutrality and independence.
Offers for review by neutral bodies have so far been rejected.