On Sunday, Aaron Donald took part in a second summer workout with the Los Angeles Rams, fueling speculation that a return from retirement might be on the horizon.
On Monday, NFL Insider Ian Rapoport shed light on “Good Morning Football” regarding the reasons behind Donald’s continued sessions with the team. These workouts, labeled as “official” because Donald used specific equipment at the Rams’ facilities, suggest something more than casual training.
“Once again, Aaron Donald donned helmets and pads and trained with the Rams,” Rapoport reported.

Rapoport further explained that these sessions act as “tryouts” and are part of Donald’s process to assess how his body responds and adjusts.
Should all go according to plan, Rapoport mentioned, it seems likely the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, who has won the title three times, will make a comeback. Donald, now 35, was with the Rams from 2014 to 2023 before retiring.
Aside from having official workouts with the team, Donald has been active on social media this offseason. He’s posted multiple videos of himself working out. Earlier this month, he was seen doing football-style drills at UCLA’s practice facility.

“The Rams have been very vocal about saying they do not have a timeframe for Aaron Donald,” Rapoport said. “…It really doesn’t have to be anytime. It has to be whenever Aaron Donald wants. No doubt the team will welcome him with open arms if he decides to play.”
After the Rams’ 20-12 preseason-opening victory against the Kansas City Chiefs, head coach Sean McVay said the team would gladly welcome Donald back.
Rams defensive end Myles Garret, who was the Rams’ big offseason acquisition, said he doesn’t want to push Donald out of retirement, but thinks the two can do “great things together” on the football field.