HomeUSCanadian Authorities Confiscate Nearly 600 Pounds of Suspected Methamphetamine at U.S. Border

Canadian Authorities Confiscate Nearly 600 Pounds of Suspected Methamphetamine at U.S. Border

Share and Follow

In a significant drug interception, Canadian border authorities have confiscated close to 600 pounds of what they suspect is methamphetamine at the U.S.-Canada border. This substantial seizure was made public by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) on Tuesday, although the actual event took place earlier, on February 4.

The CBSA revealed that Kulbir Singh, a 29-year-old Canadian, was behind the wheel of a commercial truck attempting to transport the illicit cargo into Canada from the United States. The vehicle was flagged for a secondary inspection upon its arrival at the Blue Water Bridge port of entry.

During this thorough check, aided by a specially trained detector dog, border officers uncovered 16 duffle bags filled with what they suspect to be methamphetamine hidden within the trailer. The total weight of these narcotics amounted to 266.4 kilograms, equating to just over 587 pounds.

This incident highlights the ongoing efforts of the CBSA in combating drug trafficking and securing Canada’s borders. The agency remains vigilant in its operations to prevent illegal substances from entering the country.

A split image of Canada Border Services Agency signage in front of duffle bags and bags of meth

The Canada Border Services Agency says it seized nearly 600 pounds of suspected methamphetamine at the U.S. border on Feb. 4, 2026. (Canada Border Services Agency )

Singh has been charged under Canadian law with importation of methamphetamine and possession of methamphetamine for the purpose of trafficking.

The CBSA in Southern Ontario says it has seized 616.5 kg of methamphetamine coming from the United States since January 2025.

The announcement comes amid chafing relations between Canada and President Donald Trump’s administration, with Trump complaining last week about Ottawa’s tariff plans and negotiations with China.

Trump listens in a meeting in January 2026

President Donald Trump has criticized Canada’s economic policies. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

In an effort to bring Canada to the negotiating table, Trump said he would not allow the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, which is named after the legendary Canadian ice hockey player who played for the Detroit Red Wings. The bridge, which is currently under construction, will connect Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. 

“I will not allow this bridge to open until the United States is fully compensated for everything we have given them, and also, importantly, Canada treats the United States with the Fairness and Respect that we deserve,” Trump wrote.

“We will start negotiations, IMMEDIATELY. With all that we have given them, we should own, perhaps, at least one half of this asset,” he added.

Canada Prime Minister Mark Carney

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks with media on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press via AP)

He cited the removal of U.S. alcohol products from Canadian liquor store shelves in Ontario.

Trump has previously accused Canada of taking advantage of U.S. trade policies. In his post, Trump said Canada has moved forward with building the bridge with “virtually no U.S. content.” 

Share and Follow