Speaker Johnson Criticizes Dems Over Illegal Voting Accusations

White House responds to NJ registering thousands of non-citizens to vote In an assertive push for safeguarding U.S. election integrity, White House Press Secretary Karoline...
HomeUSHarvard Settles $53M Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Scandal

Harvard Settles $53M Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Scandal

In a significant legal development, Harvard University has consented to a proposed $53 million settlement. This agreement aims to resolve allegations by families who accused the esteemed institution of mishandling its anatomical gift program. Controversy arose after accusations that a former morgue manager unlawfully trafficked body parts from cadavers donated for critical research and education purposes.

Massachusetts Superior Court Judge Debra A. Squires-Lee gave preliminary approval to the class action settlement on Tuesday. The proposal includes the creation of two distinct funds to collectively disburse $53 million, thereby resolving the claims against Harvard University.

A hearing to potentially give the final stamp of approval to this settlement is slated for December 9, 2026. During this session, the court will thoroughly evaluate whether the proposed agreement meets the necessary legal standards for conclusive approval.

SAN FRANCISCO ARCHDIOCESE REACHES $395M SETTLEMENT WITH 530 CLERGY ABUSE SURVIVORS

Split of former Harvard Medical School morgue manager Cedric Lodge and Harvard flag.

The scandal centered around Cedric Lodge, a former manager at Harvard Medical School’s morgue. (Marcio Silva/Getty Images, Steven Porter/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

The litigation followed the 2023 arrest of Cedric Lodge, who managed Harvard Medical School’s morgue for nearly three decades and who prosecutors said stole and sold parts of cadavers donated to the school for medical research and education.

Lodge pleaded guilty to interstate transport of stolen human remains and was sentenced to eight years in prison. His wife, Denise Lodge, was sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison.

Cedric Lodge walking

Former Harvard Medical School morgue manager Cedric Lodge was sentenced to eight years in prison after pleading guilty to interstate transport of stolen human remains. (Steven Porter/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

Lodge admitted that, from 2018 through at least March 2020, he participated in the sale and interstate transport of human remains stolen from the Harvard Medical School morgue, including organs, brains, skin, hands, faces, dissected heads and other parts from donated cadavers after they had been used for research and teaching purposes but before they were disposed of in accordance with anatomical gift donation agreements.

He transported the remains to his home in New Hampshire without the knowledge or permission of Harvard, the donors or their families, officials said.

Harvard condemned Lodge’s conduct in a message to the school’s community Monday.

“His violations … were despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community,” George Daley, Harvard’s dean of the faculty of medicine, and Bernard Chang, dean for medical education at Harvard Medical School, wrote in the letter.

The university noted that the federal indictment said Lodge acted “without the knowledge or permission of HMS.”

A student walks across the campus grounds at Harvard University.

A Massachusetts judge granted preliminary approval to a $53 million class action settlement involving Harvard University and families of anatomical donors. (Zhu Ziyu/VCG via Getty Images)

Harvard said the proposed settlement also includes a pledge by HMS to provide a statement to claimant families reaffirming that Lodge’s criminal acts were “morally reprehensible and inconsistent with the standards that Harvard University and HMS expect for the treatment of anatomical donors and their loved ones.”

The university also said it will establish an annual financial aid scholarship for medical students beginning in the 2027-2028 academic year in appreciation and honor of its anatomical donors.

“We hope that this resolution ensures that this never happens to another family ever again,” John Morgan, whose law firm, Morgan & Morgan, represented families in the litigation, said in a statement.