Judge removed from Karmelo Anthony self-defense case
In a significant development from Texas, Judge John Roach has been taken off the Karmelo Anthony case following the defense team’s allegations of prejudice. Anthony, convicted and sentenced to 35 years for the murder of Austin Metcalf, maintains that he acted in self-defense. The case is set to continue with a new judge tomorrow, who will hear arguments pertaining to the alleged violations of Anthony’s constitutional rights during his initial trial.
On Saturday, a Texas judge turned down Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial. His legal team contended that the restrictions in the courtroom, sessions conducted in his absence, and the treatment of an unrecorded agreement between his former legal counsel and prosecutors amounted to rights infringements.
Retired District Judge Michael Chitty issued the denial for a new trial after a thorough examination of the motion, the comprehensive court record, submitted evidence, arguments, briefs, and applicable case law. Notably, the order left out his specific rationale for declining the request.
As a result, Anthony’s murder conviction, along with his 35-year imprisonment, remains intact. His legal battle is now set to progress through the channels of direct appeal.
Judge Sid Harle’s decision to remove Judge John Roach from overseeing the remaining trial-court proceedings earlier this week led to Judge Chitty presiding over a two-day testimony in McKinney, Texas.

Accused killer Karmelo Anthony walks out of jail after posting bond. (KDFW)
Harle found that a reasonable outside observer could question whether Roach appeared impartial after he publicly said the jury “got it right” and defended several of his trial decisions.
At the center of the new-trial hearing was an oral agreement between Anthony’s original defense attorneys and prosecutors to keep potentially damaging character evidence involving both sides from reaching the jury.
Former lead defense attorney Mike Howard testified that he understood the agreement to allow Anthony to testify if he stayed focused on the confrontation under the tent at a Frisco track meet.

File photo of Austin Metcalf, a junior at Memorial High School in Frisco, who was stabbed in the chest allegedly by 17-year-old Karmelo Anthony, a student-athlete from Frisco Centennial High School. (Courtesy Jeff Metcalf)
On the final day of trial, prosecutors told the defense that the agreement would not apply if Anthony took the stand and that the defense had opened the door to character evidence. Howard said the dispute led to a heated break in the proceedings and made Anthony unwilling to testify.
Under cross-examination, Howard acknowledged the lawyers never expressly agreed on whether a testifying defendant was covered by the arrangement. He also said he could not say whether prosecutors acted in bad faith.
Former defense attorney Toby Shook gave similar testimony Friday, saying the original defense team understood the agreement to include Anthony’s testimony about the confrontation. The position prosecutors took caught Shook off guard because the defense had always expected Anthony to take the stand in support of his self-defense claim.

Supporters of Karmelo Anthony assemble outside of Collin County Courthouse in McKinney, TX, Wednesday, August 19, 2026. Anthony was convicted of the murder of Austin Metcalf in June, but a motion is before the court today recuse the judge who presided over that case. (Derek Shook for News Media)
The defense also introduced a training presentation that lead prosecutor Bill Wirske had used in continuing legal education courses on self-defense. One slide advised defense lawyers that the client “(probably) needs to testify.”
During a break, the defense updated Anthony and explained that Roach said he could not enforce the unwritten agreement, Shook testified. That left Anthony unsure whether testifying would allow prosecutors to introduce character evidence the agreement was meant to keep out.
Wirske disputed that the agreement was broken. He said the lawyers never discussed the details of what it would allow if Anthony testified and that prosecutors remained willing to honor it. The state feared testimony from Anthony or his mother could inadvertently open the door to character evidence, Wirske said.
Chitty also considered claims that courtroom-access restrictions violated Anthony’s Sixth Amendment right to a public trial and that jury instructions limited jurors’ ability to consider self-defense.
Anthony, 19, was convicted in June of stabbing and killing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during an altercation at a Frisco track meet. A Collin County jury sentenced Anthony to 35 years in prison.