Share and Follow
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that he has instructed the Pentagon and other governmental bodies to locate and disclose documents concerning extraterrestrial life and UFOs, citing the public’s “tremendous interest” in these topics.
The announcement was made via a social media post, shortly after Trump accused former President Barack Obama of revealing “classified information.” This accusation followed Obama’s remarks in a recent podcast, where he suggested the existence of aliens.
While speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump admitted, “I don’t know if they’re real or not,” regarding extraterrestrial beings. He also hinted at potentially helping Obama by declassifying certain information, saying, “I may get him out of trouble by declassifying.”
In his social media post on Thursday night, Trump elaborated that he was instructing various government agencies to release documents related to “alien and extraterrestrial life, unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), and unidentified flying objects (UFOs), along with any other information tied to these complex, yet highly intriguing and significant issues.”
Obama, during his podcast appearance over the weekend, later clarified his remarks. He mentioned that he had not encountered evidence of aliens making contact with humans, but added, “statistically, the universe is so vast that the odds are good there’s life out there.”
READ MORE | Obama shuts down alien buzz and says there’s no evidence they’ve made contact
Trump told reporters Thursday that when it came to the prospect of extraterrestrial visitors: “I don’t have an opinion on it. I never talk about it. A lot of people do. A lot of people believe it.”
Trump’s daughter-in-law Lara Trump suggested this week that he was ready to speak about it, however, when she said on a podcast that the president had a speech prepared to deliver on aliens that he would give at the “right time.”
That was news to the White House. Press secretary Karoline Leavitt responded with a laugh when she was asked about it Wednesday and told reporters, “A speech on aliens would be news to me.”
Public interest in unidentified flying objects and the possibility of the government hiding secrets of extraterrestrial life remerged in the public consciousness after a group of former Pentagon and government officials leaked Navy videos of unknown objects to The New York Times and Politico in 2017. The renewed scrutiny prompted Congress to hold the first hearings on UFOs in 50 years in May 2022, though officials said that the objects, which appeared to be green triangles floating above a Navy ship, were likely drones.
Since then the Pentagon has promised more transparency on the topic. In July 2022 it created the All-Domain Anomaly Resolution Office, or AARO, which was intended to be a central place to collect reports of all military UFO encounters, taking over from a department task force.
In 2023, Dr. Sean Kirkpatrick, the head of AARO at the time, told reporters he didn’t have any evidence “of any program having ever existed as a to do any sort of reverse engineering of any sort of extraterrestrial (unidentified aerial phenomena).”
The information that has been made public shows that the vast majority of UFO reports made by the military go unsolved but the ones that are identified are largely benign in nature.
An 18-page unclassified report submitted to Congress in June 2024 said service members had made 485 reports of unidentified phenomena in the past year but 118 cases were found to be “prosaic objects such as various types of balloons, birds, and unmanned aerial systems.”
“It is important to underscore that, to date, AARO has discovered no evidence of extraterrestrial beings, activity, or technology,” the report stressed.
Associated Press writers Konstantin Toropin and Steve Peoples contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.