In a dramatic escalation, an aggressively expanding wildfire has swiftly spread from the Sierra foothills toward Reno’s core, prompting the evacuation of nearly 14,000 residences early Sunday morning.
The area labeled as the “GO NOW” zone encroached upon the perimeter of the University of Nevada campus as the Hawk Fire ballooned to over 10,500 acres. By Sunday morning, containment efforts had yet to make progress, with the blaze still uncontained.
Reacting to the crisis, Governor Joe Lombardo issued a state of emergency for Washoe County and called upon the Nevada National Guard. They dispatched two helicopter teams for aerial firefighting support and deployed 60 troops to assist law enforcement in securing the evacuated regions.
“The situation is both active and rapidly changing,” Lombardo cautioned in a statement shared on social media platforms. “I urge everyone in the impacted areas to stay alert and adhere to the guidance given by local authorities. The state is unwaveringly committed, working hand in hand with local officials and first responders to mobilize all available resources to save lives, protect communities, and ensure the safety of Nevadans.”
Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue, which has joined forces from just across the California state line, reported that the blaze ostensibly ignited on Saturday and expanded dramatically throughout the day. The rapid growth was driven by fierce winds, low humidity, and dry vegetation, creating a perfect storm for advancing flames.
“The Hawk Fire is a very dynamic incident for us as it’s being driven by the winds,” Richard Edwards, chief of Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue in Washoe County, said in a video posted to social media. “The wind-driven fires move very rapidly into our residential areas, creating a lot of challenges for our firefighters to save homes and protect lives.”
Nearly 10,000 homes and businesses were without power in Washoe County on Sunday. Portions of U.S. Route 395, a major north-south highway, were closed due to the fire.
“If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a statement posted on social media late Saturday night. “Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building. Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze.”
Washoe County, Nevada, emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention Center to evacuees, but said they couldn’t bring their pets — small animals and large animals were to be left at two other locations. The Northwest Specialty Hospital in Washoe County said it has evacuated all patients out of an abundance of caution.
“The safety and well-being of our patients and staff remain our highest priority,” the Northern Nevada Health System said in a statement on social media.
Earlier this month, three wildfires fueled by hot, dry and windy conditions north of Reno forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard.

