A security guard at the Today Show has been dismissed following an alarming incident in which a trespasser breached the set, charging at anchor Craig Melvin while hurling a racist insult.
The security personnel, whose identity remains undisclosed, was let go on Thursday. This came after he allegedly failed to prevent a mentally unstable individual from entering Studio 1A at New York City’s Rockefeller Center around 9 a.m., during an off-air moment for the hosts, as reported by TMZ.
Security video obtained by Page Six reportedly captured two guards at the entrance when the break-in unfolded. One guard is seen briefly walking away, while the other allegedly failed to spot the intruder entering the restricted area.
Authorities have not disclosed which of the two guards was terminated in the aftermath of the security lapse.
Sources revealed that staff members were disheartened by the news of the guard’s firing, describing him as a cherished colleague within the building, as noted by Page Six.
The decision to terminate the guard came just hours after the suspect, named Andrew Truelove, gained access to the NBC News and Today Show plaza, reportedly inquiring about Al Roker’s whereabouts, according to TMZ.
Once in the restricted area, he allegedly slipped past the two guards undetected, breached security at the headquarters and asked Melvin where he could find the network’s weatherman.
He reportedly moved toward Melvin when it became clear Roker was not reachable. As he did, he allegedly screamed the N-word, TMZ reported.
TMZ reported that an unidentified security guard was fired from the Today Show Thursday, hours after an intruder breached the set and lunged at anchor Craig Melvin
The New York Police Department (NYPD) confirmed that the suspect, identified as Andrew Truelove, was arrested and booked on several charges following the breach
Truelove reportedly made it as far as the staircase inside the studio while approaching the host and the backstage area near the dressing rooms, though the exact location remains unclear.
According to sources who spoke with Page Six, Truelove didn’t reach the actual studio set before security and staff rushed in shortly after Melvin alerted them to the horrifying incident.
A photo obtained by TMZ from inside the studio appears to show Melvin surrounded by staff members moments after the incident unfolded.
He later returned to the air with his fellow hosts without acknowledging the incident. Police said they responded to a report of ‘a disorderly person inside 30 Rockefeller Center.’
Although the incident was not captured during the broadcast, Melvin and Roker returned to air about 15 minutes later, with neither hinting at the drama that had just unfolded behind the scenes.
A statement from Today confirmed the ‘individual entered an unauthorized area in a vestibule near Studio 1A’ before approaching Melvin. ‘There was no altercation, and no one was injured,’ it added.
In a later statement, the morning program said it was ‘cooperating fully with law enforcement as they investigate the matter.’
‘NBC and TODAY take the safety and security of our employees, talent, staff and guests extremely seriously,’ the statement added.
When the suspect couldn’t find host Al Roker, he allegedly approached Melvin while shouting the N-word. Security and staff rushed in shortly after
Melvin later returned to the air with his fellow hosts without acknowledging the incident
The Today Show show also confirmed it is ‘reviewing the incident and our security protocols and remain committed to providing a safe and secure environment for everyone who works at and visits our studios.’
The New York Police Department (NYPD) confirmed that Truelove was arrested and booked on several charges, including hate crime menacing, hate crime burglary, hate crime criminal trespass and harassment, according to Page Six.
A spokesman also confirmed to The Daily Mail earlier that the intruder was detained and arrested.
Melvin took to Instagram after the incident to update fans and confirm that he would not be taking any time off following the unexpected confrontation.
His caption read: ‘Hey everyone. I’ve heard from so many of you over the last few hours. I’m going just fine. Thanks for reaching out. I’m looking forward to seeing you tomorrow morning on the Today Show.’
Melvin, 47, replaced Hoda Kotb as one of the show’s permanent anchors early last year, with his profile growing significantly since taking on the role.
Meanwhile, Roker, 71, remains one of the program’s most recognizable faces, having been a regular presence since 1996.
This is a breaking news story…