In a significant turn of events, Andrew Giuliani, the chief overseer of Donald Trump’s World Cup operations, has signaled the possibility of revisiting Iran’s contentious travel restrictions. This comes on the heels of the Iran Football Federation’s (FFIRI) announcement to file a formal grievance concerning what they perceive as inequitable treatment.
Speaking on Friday, Giuliani, who leads the White House’s efforts related to the World Cup, underscored President Trump’s desire for a tournament characterized by ‘competitive balance.’ Although firm on barring individuals deemed ‘bad actors’ from entering the U.S., Giuliani expressed a willingness to engage in dialogue about Iran’s standing under the current agreement.
In response to what it views as discriminatory practices, the FFIRI plans to petition FIFA, citing unfair constraints ‘imposed by the organizers’ that distinguish Iran from the other 47 nations participating in the World Cup.
The discontent within the Iranian camp became more pronounced earlier this week when head coach Amir Ghalenoei voiced concerns about Iran being the ‘most oppressed’ team. This sentiment was echoed after their 2-2 stalemate against New Zealand in Los Angeles. Team captain Mehdi Taremi described the predicament as a ‘disaster,’ while Mohammad Mohebi criticized the situation as ‘unfair.’
“The situation is ever-changing—open to discussion and revision,” Giuliani stated emphatically. He stressed the administration’s commitment to fostering a level playing field, ensuring that every coach involved in the tournament has secured a visa and can fully participate.
‘The President wants to make sure this tournament strikes a competitive balance, while also making sure bad actors don’t get into the country. We’ve done that, with a month to go.’
Andrew Giuliani has opened the door to renegotiating Iran’s World Cup travel restrictions
Iranian soccer chiefs vowed to lodge a complaint with FIFA over its brutal treatment
Giuliani said Friday that President Trump wants the tournament to have ‘competitive balance’
On the current restrictions, he added: ‘This has been agreed with the Iranian team and FIFA for weeks and discussed for months. There is nothing that has ultimately changed.’
Iran’s players were furious about having to leave the US immediately after the match at SoFi Stadium. Rather than return to their training base in Tijuana, Mexico, Iran wanted to spend another night in LA before having a recovery session.
On Friday, the FFIRI said they would complain to Fifa after being told they would not be allowed to land in the US two days before their second Group G game against Belgium on Sunday.
‘You look at the US national team, today, they are going to be flying back to Orange County [after the game against Australia], a two-and-a-half hour to three-hour flight after the match,’ Giuliani continued.
‘So to try to stay after the match makes no sense. A flight from Tijuana to LAX takes about 27 minutes in the air. We’ve agreed to matchday minus 1, that’s what it will be.’
He added: ‘As for the [Belgium] match on the 21st, the [Iran] team will come in on the 20th. Like I said everything is dynamic, we see how ultimately procedures have operated. Thankfully it was smooth on the 15th [against New Zealand].
‘We will see how the 21st goes and see from there. [Iran] could continue on and qualify. We know there’s a path where they could play back here in Seattle, on July 6, US vs Iran if they both win their groups and the round of 32. If they both finish second they will go to Dallas on July 3. As you know with a tournament like this, and teams are going here or there, things are dynamic. So keep an eye on it.’
Iran touched down in LA barely 24 hours before their opener against New Zealand. The game against Belgium kicks off at midday local time, further hampering the team’s preparations.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino went into the Iranian locker room after their game on Monday
Iran wanted to fly from Tijuana two days before their next match against Belgium on Sunday
‘The Football Federation of Iran believes that such restrictions are inconsistent with the principle of providing equal conditions for all participating teams and may negatively affect teams’ preparation processes,’ a spokesperson said.
‘Consequently, the Federation will formally express its dissatisfaction and lodge an official complaint with FIFA through the appropriate channels.
‘Despite these limitations, Iran’s national team will continue its preparation program and remain fully focused on its upcoming match against Belgium.’
Fifa have been contacted for comment. President Gianni Infantino visited the Iran dressing room following the New Zealand game and it is understood he told Taremi and Co that he will try to help.
The US Department of Homeland Security said following the New Zealand game that Iran ‘agreed to these terms.’ Nearly a dozen members of the Iran delegation have also been denied visas to the US for the World Cup.
A spokesman for the FFIRI added: ‘Despite having submitted its preparation schedule for the tournament well in advance, Iran’s national football team has once again encountered restrictions imposed by the organizers, affecting the implementation of its technical staff’s plans.
‘According to the coaching staff’s program, the team needed to arrive in each host city two days before every match and return to its base camp the day after the game in order to achieve optimal technical and physical preparation.
Iranian team officials slammed its ‘oppressive’ and ‘disastrous’ treatment at the World Cup
‘However, this request was not approved ahead of Iran’s opening match against New Zealand. Instead, the team was only allowed to travel to the host city one day before the game and was required to return to its accommodation immediately after the final whistle.
‘The same situation has now been repeated ahead of Iran’s second match against Belgium… given that the game will be played at 12pm local time in Los Angeles, the Football Federation of Iran requested that the team be allowed to travel to Los Angeles two days before the match.
‘The aim was to provide sufficient time for players to adapt to the match conditions, complete their final training session, and finalize preparations.
‘Despite the technical reasons presented by the federation, the request was once again denied. As a result, the national team will only be permitted to travel to Los Angeles one day before the match, on Saturday local time.’