Dodgers’ Hunter Feduccia Exits Early Due to Stomach Bug

DENVER –– The thin mountain air seemed to take its toll on Dodgers catcher Hunter Feduccia during Tuesday night's face-off. Or perhaps it was the...
HomeUSKarmelo Anthony's Request Sparks Controversy in Austin Metcalf Murder Case

Karmelo Anthony’s Request Sparks Controversy in Austin Metcalf Murder Case

Karmelo Anthony, a teenager convicted of killing Austin Metcalf, is pushing for a fresh trial and the appointment of a new judge for any subsequent legal matters in his case. This information was disclosed by his defense team.

In a swift decision made last month, a jury in Collin County, near Dallas, found the 19-year-old guilty in under three hours for the murder of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf. The incident occurred during a high school track event in April 2025.

The jury handed down a 35-year sentence to Anthony, dismissing his defense argument that the act was in self-defense.

In an effort to have Anthony’s conviction overturned, his legal representatives have filed for a retrial. They are also advocating for Judge John Roach, who initially led the June trial, to be removed from overseeing future case proceedings.

In their press release, Anthony’s attorneys stated, “The legal defense team representing Karmelo Anthony has filed a Verified Motion to Recuse, requesting that Judge John Roach be removed from presiding over all remaining post-trial proceedings.”

‘The defense has also filed a Motion for new trial, raising constitutional and legal challenges stemming from the trial, and is requesting that those issues be decided by an independent judge.’

Anthony’s new legal team did not explain why it is seeking Judge Roach’s removal.

But in a previous interview with the Daily Mail, attorney Lee Merritt – who is not a member of Anthony’s legal team but has been advising his family – outlined the arguments he expected would be raised in any appeal. 

Austin Metcalf

Karmelo Anthony

The murder trial for Karmelo Anthony (right)  is set to start June 1. Anthony is on trial for murder in the fatal stabbing of Austin Metcalf (left) at a high school track meet in Frisco, Texas in April 2025. Anthony has pleaded not guilty

Anthony has enjoyed greasy and sweet diner favorites every morning while awaiting his appeal at the Wallace Pack Unit near Navasota

Anthony has enjoyed greasy and sweet diner favorites every morning while awaiting his appeal at the Wallace Pack Unit near Navasota 

The appeal would be based on multiple grounds, Merritt told the Daily Mail in June, including whether race was a factor given that no Black jurors served on the panel and whether Anthony received effective legal representation. 

Merritt accused Anthony’s previous attorneys Mike Howard and Toby Shook, who handled the trial, of providing a ‘complete lack of a defense’, claiming ‘they didn’t call basic witnesses either in the sentencing phase.’

‘They only called his mom, which is what you do when you have a murderer and no one else to testify for.’

After Anthony’s conviction, his parents asked Merritt to assemble a legal team to handle his appeal.

Michael Ware, the man who leads the Texas Innocence Project and helps get inmates off Death Row is part of that team, although Anthony is a client of Ware, not the Innocence Project.

Anthony and Metcalf had never met before the track meet, as they attended different high schools. 

But they were set on a collision course on the day of the meet when Metcalf’s coach instructed him to help guard Memorial High School’s team tent and prevent students from other schools from gathering underneath it.

Anthony, who attended a different school, sat beneath the Memorial tent and was asked to leave at least 15 times, prompting a verbal confrontation with Metcalf. 

As the argument escalated, Metcalf stepped toward Anthony to shove him. Anthony then pulled an open folding knife, which prosecutors said he had concealed in his backpack, and stabbed Metcalf before fleeing the tent. 

Metcalf died at the scene in the arms of his identical twin brother. 

After Anthony’s June 9 conviction, his parents asked Merritt to assemble a legal team to pursue an appeal. 

Karmelo Anthony is being held at a prison an hour outside of Houston after his murder conviction for the death of Austin Metcalf

Karmelo Anthony is being held at a prison an hour outside of Houston after his murder conviction for the death of Austin Metcalf

Austin Metcalf, 17, (pictured) was bleeding in his brother's arms as paramedics headed to the track

Austin Metcalf, 17, (pictured) was bleeding in his brother’s arms as paramedics headed to the track 

Killer Karmelo Anthony wants the Texas judge John Roach who oversaw his trial removed from his case, according to his lawyers

Killer Karmelo Anthony wants the Texas judge John Roach who oversaw his trial removed from his case, according to his lawyers

Roach did not immediately respond to Daily Mail’s request for comment. 

Metcalf’s family declined to comment. 

However, even if Anthony’s request is granted, it would take months, maybe years for a new trial. 

A judge would decide if there is any merit to the legal issues raised by Anthony and whether they merit a new trial. 

In the meantime, the convicted felon is being held at the Wallace Pack Unit, located near Navasota, Texas about an hour outside of Houston.

Anthony is in protective custody, not general population, at the men’s prison.