
A Michigan man, gravely injured following a vicious attack at a folk music gathering, now communicates solely through blinking, according to his family. This harrowing incident has left his loved ones distraught and seeking answers.
The Emmet County Sheriff’s Office reported that 37-year-old Darryl “Lonn” Hartman has been unable to share details with investigators about the events of the night on July 12 at the Blissfest Music Festival, located in Harbor Springs, Michigan.
Hartman, accompanied by his dance partner, ventured to Blissfest to showcase their talents at the annual celebration. Set on a sprawling 200-acre farm, the festival draws an impressive crowd of approximately 5,000 attendees each year.
Yet, what was meant to be an enjoyable night took a dark turn. Following his performance, Hartman retired to his tent early, only to be discovered the next morning around 9 a.m. hanging out of it, bearing two significant cuts near his neck, as reported by his friend Terace Garnier to Fox 2 Detroit.
A dedicated mentor to underprivileged youth in Detroit, Hartman has been hospitalized for more than a week, having lost nearly eight pints of blood due to this suspected assault, Garnier also disclosed.
“It was looking like he shouldn’t be alive right now,” Garnier said. “That’s basically what they were saying with the amount of blood that he lost.”
Officials said they are in contact with Hartman’s family after friends claimed Hartman revealed who attacked him by blinking and nodding his head from his hospital bed.
“He told us who did this so we know who did this. The individuals were Caucasian, so we believe it’s a hate crime and potentially a crime of passion,” Garnier added.
Investigators also said that, based on the evidence reviewed so far, they have found no evidence indicating the assault was a targeted hate crime or that Hartman’s injuries were self-inflicted.
“We remain committed to finding answers, identifying what occurred that evening, and bringing this investigation to a successful conclusion,” the sheriff’s office said.
Blissfest Music Festival is a yearly event that brings together more than 100 acts across several venues.
Blissfest organizers said that the alleged attack has “understandably stirred deep concern and speculation.”
“Our hearts go out to everyone who has reached out with concern following reports that an individual connected to this year’s event may have been the victim of an assault,” the festival said in a statement on Thursday.
“From the moment Blissfest became aware of this situation, the organization has cooperated fully with law enforcement as they carefully reviewed the circumstances surrounding this sensitive incident.
“Out of respect for the investigative process and those affected, Blissfest has refrained from commenting on unverified claims.”
The sheriff’s office urged the public to avoid speculation as the investigation continues.
Anyone with firsthand information is asked to contact the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office by emailing blissfestinvestigation@emmetcounty.org, calling 231-348-0605 or submitting a tip through the sheriff’s office mobile app.