A controversial series of events unfolded when a convicted killer, released on bond from a North Carolina jail, allegedly shot two men, resulting in one fatality just under two hours later. This rapid sequence has sparked intense scrutiny regarding the decision to release someone with a history of violence.
David Simpson, age 29, faces charges including first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon intending to kill, and firearm possession by a felon. The incident occurred on July 29 at an apartment complex in east Charlotte. Following these charges, a Mecklenburg County judge ordered Simpson be held without bond.
According to court documents sourced by WCNC, Simpson was released from Mecklenburg County Jail at 12:20 a.m. after posting a $10,000 bond related to an earlier charge of possessing a weapon while incarcerated. Tragically, by 1:45 a.m., a shooting transpired leaving one victim dead and the other gravely injured.

David Simpson, 29, is formally accused of severe charges including first-degree murder and firearms possession by a felon amidst the unfolding events. (Mecklenburg County Jail)
Police investigations revealed that the shooting incident was the culmination of a heated argument over a parking space at the complex. Authorities had twice responded to prior disputes that evening involving confrontations over parking arrangements.
Surveillance video cited in the documents appears to show Simpson outside with his girlfriend when the victims’ SUV drove past. Detectives said Simpson went inside, returned carrying what they described as a weighted black bag, and ran toward the victims.

Simpson was released from the Mecklenburg County Jail at 12:20 a.m. after posting a $10,000 bond on an unrelated charge of possession of a weapon by a prisoner, according to jail records. (Mecklenburg County Jail)
About 10 minutes later, two gunshots can be heard on the video. Roughly 30 seconds after that, Simpson is seen jogging back toward his apartment while handling the bag before driving away, investigators said. Officers recovered two spent 7.62-caliber rifle casings at the scene.
One victim died at the scene. The second made it inside an apartment before collapsing and later underwent surgery.
Court records show Simpson was previously charged with first-degree murder in a 2013 fatal shooting but pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in 2015, Queen City News reported. He served about five years in prison before being released on parole in 2020.
Since then, he has been arrested several more times, including on multiple charges of possession of a firearm by a felon, WBTV reported.
He also had pending charges this year for possession of a firearm by a felon, resisting a public officer and misdemeanor larceny, WCNC reported, citing court records.
Charlotte defense attorney Tim Cannady, who is not involved in the case, questioned why Simpson remained free despite his history.
“If you look at his history, it seems like this gentleman has picked up just about every year up to this point some kind of a violent crime,” Cannady told WCNC. “So you kind of have to ask the question: Why wasn’t he already in jail?”

An aerial view of the skyline of downtown Charlotte, North Carolina, on Oct. 12, 2023. (Omar Vega/Getty Images)
Former Charlotte City Council member Tariq Bokhari offered a similar criticism.
“We know what these top 1% of repeat offenders are going to do, and for some reason, we just don’t have the appetite to take action,” Bokhari told WBTV. “It feels like ‘Groundhog Day,’ to be quite honest.”
Simpson refused to leave his jail cell for his first scheduled court appearance Friday morning, delaying the hearing until a judge ordered him to appear later that afternoon.
His girlfriend, Shakema Scott, has also been charged with accessory after the fact.
Simpson is due back in court on Aug. 21.