
MIAMI — In a significant legal showdown, lawyers representing the controversial social media influencers Andrew and Tristan Tate will engage in discussions with U.S. federal prosecutors in Miami on Monday. The key agenda includes outlining a strategy for a complex and potentially lengthy extradition battle to the United Kingdom, where serious allegations of rape and sex trafficking have been leveled against the brothers.
The upcoming status conference is expected to establish a timeline for critical legal proceedings, such as setting a date for a bond hearing. This meeting will also determine deadlines for the submission of legal documents and schedule a formal extradition hearing. The Tates, who were briefly seen in court following their arrest on July 18, may soon know what lies ahead in their legal journey.
Monday’s conference will proceed without the Tates’ presence, as their legal team announced on Friday that the brothers have opted not to attend. Currently, they remain in close proximity to the courthouse, held in federal custody.
Renowned for their promotion of wealth, male supremacy, and controversial views on misogyny, the Tates have carved out a unique niche as divisive figures in the digital landscape. Once professional kickboxers, the brothers, who hold dual citizenship in the United States and the United Kingdom, boast millions of followers and are outspoken advocates of former U.S. President Donald Trump.
Despite their public displays of support, the White House has made it clear that the Tates should not anticipate presidential intervention in their extradition case. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt firmly dismissed any notion of interference on Thursday, reinforcing the administration’s stance on allowing the legal process to unfold independently.
“No, we’ve already answered that question,” Leavitt said.
The Tates’ attorney, Joseph McBride, said after last week’s hearing that they should remain in the U.S.
“We are of course objecting to extradition because Andrew and Tristan are innocent,” McBride said. “They’ve never done nothing wrong. They shouldn’t be extradited for crimes they did not commit.”
McBride said the extradition attempt is politically motivated and suggested the case involved former British Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s decision to step down, though he provided no details.
Prosecutors in Britain said the new charges relate to four new accusers and were brought after authorities received evidence from police in Bedfordshire, in southeastern England. The allegations, which span from 2010 to 2017, include rape, assault, trafficking and offenses relating to “indecent images of a child and extreme pornography.”
McBride said none of the latest accusers have been identified.
The brothers are already charged with rape, bodily harm, human trafficking and controlling prostitution for gain relating to three other accusers in the U.K. between 2012 and 2015.
The new allegations are the latest in a long-running international legal saga involving the Tates that has spanned the U.S., Britain and Romania. The brothers have repeatedly denied wrongdoing.
The brothers moved to Romania in 2016 and were arrested there in 2022, accused of participating in schemes to lure women for sexual exploitation. They denied those allegations, and the Romanian case hasn’t gone forward because of legal and procedural problems.
Travel restrictions were lifted last year, and they flew to Florida.
Andrew Tate, 39, became known a decade ago when he was a contestant on the U.K. reality television show “Big Brother.” He was booted from the show when a video appeared to show him assaulting a woman.
He has amassed over 10 million followers on X but has been banned from other platforms, including YouTube, TikTok and Instagram, for violating hate speech guidelines. He has made widely condemned comments, such as saying women who are sexually assaulted should bear some responsibility for the attacks and sharing graphic descriptions of how he might attack women.
The Tate brothers have consistently denied allegations of abuse and human trafficking, claiming their violent and misogynistic statements have been taken out of context or were intended as jokes.