In a dramatic escalation of their demonstrations, radical climate activists once again disrupted Sydney’s rush hour, this time targeting the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge.
On Wednesday morning, drivers heading into the heart of the city faced lengthy delays when a group of protestors brought traffic to a standstill by obstructing the Cahill Expressway with a truck.
The spectacle intensified as several demonstrators climbed onto the truck, which was strategically parked in the left-hand southbound lane of the bridge.
Adding to the commuter chaos, two activists positioned themselves directly on the roadway, creating a significant blockade that caused traffic to stretch all the way back to the Lane Cove Tunnel.
The situation prompted a swift response from dozens of police officers, including specialized rescue units equipped with ladders, who were tasked with removing at least two protestors from atop the truck.
Four protesters from Fireproof Australia were arrested.
Climate protesters have caused more traffic chaos, this time on the Sydney Harbour Bridge
A spokesman told Daily Mail Australia the four protesters arrested were taken to Day Street police station and were expected to be charged.
Live video from the group’s Facebook page shows protester Violet Coco filmed standing on top of the truck letting off a flare.
She was joined by Alan, who says he’s a been a volunteer firefighter for 42 years.
‘Two protesters have glued themselves to the roadway and until the police able to unstick their hands they will stay there in front of this truck,’ Alan said.
The 11 minute livestream video ended with the pair being arrested by police.
‘We must act now. We have to take this into our own hands because our government has failed us’ Violet said.
‘I don’t want to be here. I don’t want to be doing this but we have to.’
Protester Violet was livestreamed standing on top of truck letting off an emergency flare
Police have arrived on scene to remove the protesters adding to the peak hour traffic chaos
Several other protesters sat in the middle of the road blocking a southbound lane
The group had vowed to cause more chaos after activist Andrew George was jailed for invading the field and letting off a flare during a NRL game at Cronulla on Sunday.
Fireproof Australia has warned of another snap protest on Thursday in honour of George, who will spend his birthday behind bars.
‘Join us at the Harbour Bridge Thursday 12pm with a flare and a flood fire or smoke sign,’ the group posted online.
Protesters now face up to up to two years’ jail or a $22,000 fine after tough new anti-protest laws were enforced last week.
‘This type of behaviour needs to stop,’ NSW Premier Dominic Perrotett said.
‘Don’t do it at the expense of people trying to get to and from work, trying to get their kids to school, stopping people earning a living and a wage – that’s what these protests are doing.’
Protester Alan (pictured on Thursday) says he’s a volunteer firefighter of 42 years
But frustrated Sydneysiders have called for an even tougher crackdown after weeks of widespread chaos across the city.
‘We need to do something about this. They hurt the economy more than anything,’ one posted on Wednesday.
Another added: ‘These idiots are too stupid to understand every time they do things like this they turn the public further against them. Not to mention the irony of driving a diesel truck to protest carbon emissions.’
Four protesters have been arrested by police and are in the process of being charged