Harvard Settles $53M Over Stolen Donated Body Parts Scandal

In a significant legal development, Harvard University has consented to a proposed $53 million settlement. This agreement aims to resolve allegations by families who...
HomeUSSeattle Shooting Shocker: Third Suspect Surfaces as One Alleged Gunman Found Dead

Seattle Shooting Shocker: Third Suspect Surfaces as One Alleged Gunman Found Dead

Authorities are now on the trail of what they believe to be three individuals involved in the tragic mass shooting at Seattle Center on Sunday. The deadly incident resulted in three fatalities and left four others injured. Of the suspects, a 15-year-old has been apprehended in connection with the disturbing outbreak of violence.

According to a report by The Associated Press (AP) that references a court document from Seattle’s juvenile court, one of the individuals believed to be pulling the trigger was among those who lost their lives during the melee.

Initially, police stated the suspicion of two shooters. However, newly uncovered details suggest that the 15-year-old now in custody, along with a dead acquaintance discovered at the scene, might have exchanged gunfire with another as-yet unidentified suspect.

The search for the third suspect remains intense, with law enforcement conducting an active manhunt to bring the individual to justice.

Seattle shooting scene

In light of the ongoing investigation, Seattle Police have issued an advisory for the public to steer clear of the affected zone. (KCPQ)

Just hours earlier, officials said the 15-year-old was booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of firearms violations and first-degree assault. 

While the juvenile was expected to make an initial court appearance Monday, The AP reported that the teen waived the hearing.

No homicide charges have been filed against the teen.

“We believe this teenager opened fire in the crowd, but details are still under investigation,” Mayor Katie Wilson said. 

Seattle Police Department Chief Shon Barnes said investigators believe gunfire was exchanged outside the Seattle Center Armory, leaving multiple bystanders caught in the crossfire.

Police believe the shooting stemmed from a conflict between small groups who appear to be at odds with each other.

Officials said a 19-year-old man and a 44-year-old man died at the scene despite life-saving efforts by first responders. 

A 56-year-old woman was also transported to a local hospital in critical condition, where she later died. 

Four other victims were injured, including a 2-year-old boy, a 23-year-old man, a 39-year-old woman and a 40-year-old woman. Officials said these victims either suffered minor injuries or have been discharged from the hospital.

Police are also investigating whether a 27-year-old man who self-transported to a hospital was an eighth victim. His involvement has not yet been confirmed.

Harborview Medical Center spokesperson Susan Gregg previously said the injuries to four patients involved an arm, abdomen and legs

Seattle Police probing a mass shooting

Police and emergency crews began arriving at Seattle Center shortly after 6 p.m. The venue was hosting the Bite of Seattle food festival over the weekend. (KCPQ)

Wilson called the shooting “an act of horrific violence.”

“Impacted families are living through the worst moment of their lives, and an entire community is trying to understand how a gathering built around culture, connection, and joy ended in gunfire,” Wilson said in a statement. “No one should have to weigh the risk of being shot before attending an event, gathering with friends, or experiencing their city.”

The venue was hosting the Bite of Seattle food festival over the weekend.

“Our first responsibilities are supporting grieving families, caring for the injured, and providing clear and accurate information for the public,” the mayor said.

Washington Gov. Bob Ferguson previously said he was receiving briefings and State Patrol SWAT officers responded to the scene to assist Seattle Police.

“My prayers are with the families of the victims, and the responders as they work to keep people safe,” the governor said on X.

News Media reached out to the Seattle Police Department for additional information.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., said she was “absolutely horrified” by the shooting.

“My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and all those impacted by this senseless violence.”

“I am grateful to the officers and first responders who are at the scene and working to protect our community, as well as the frontline medical professionals who are treating survivors,” she said on X. “Tonight, we grieve with our community in Seattle as well as those around the country affected by gun violence and mass shootings.”

Seattle Police investigating a mass shooting

Three people were pronounced dead at the scene. (KCPQ)

King County Executive Girmay Zahilay similarly said he was “horrified” by the violence.

“As someone who grew up in this community, I know what this event means to so many families, young people, and neighbors across our region,” he said in a statement. “For years, the Bite has been one of Seattle’s signature summer traditions. To see violence at a place that brings so many people together is heartbreaking and unacceptable.”

Kayla Carris, 22, said she was sitting outside the Armory at the Bite of Seattle when people began to scream and run for cover inside the Seattle Center Armory.

“Everyone was just throwing stuff and running,” Carris told The Seattle Times. “Like everyone.”

Todd Behrends, 59, said he heard what appeared to be several rounds of shots.

People began running and jumping over each other to escape, Behrends told the outlet. One woman fell, and someone stepped on her leg.

Behrends said he saw a woman on the ground and a man on a stretcher as he ran toward an exit.